Baymule’s 2020 Garden

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rotted on the bottom is blossom end rot or BER. It is a lack of calcium. You can amend with lime. Also, put a tablespoon of epsom salt around each tomato plant. That should help.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Inconsistent moisture will also cause it. Lime & Epsom salts are usually good always. Not sure where @Rammy is located. Some areas have hi pH.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My garden last year was a complete bust, this year is making up for it. I just canned 10 pints and 1 quart of salsa, and 8 half pints of sauce with Italian seasoning to make eggplant Parmesan with. I used 75 tomatoes today. Still have 65 on the table and haven’t picked yet today. I have a mess to clean up, I’m tired, drinking iced coffee leftover from this morning.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I picked almost a wash pan of tomatoes, more long beans and a double handful of Kentucky Wonder beans. I have enough of the KW beans to can them tomorrow.

There is already tiny green spears of sweet corn coming up! Yay!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't can the green beans yesterday. I avoided the garden. :lol: If I don't go in it, then there's nothing to pick, right? And if there's nothing to pick, there is nothing to put up......durned table full of tomatoes was looking at me, green beans were still in the refrigerator. One of my customers texted yesterday, she was at the beauty shop and the owner and one of the beauticians wanted vegetables and eggs. Counting what my customer wanted, we sold $73 worth.

Then we stopped at a neighbor's before we got home, they are rehabbing an old mobile home. Audrey has 3 kids under 5, her cousin was there too so we got to meet him. I invited them to the farm to give them some Thai long beans. They wound up buying lamb chops and leg of lamb. So that came to $70, not a bad day! Audrey sent me the cutest picture of one of her kids eating a tomato I gave her and pictures of the supper she cooked. She has a garden and is looking forward to moving so she can have a bigger garden. She wants to learn how to can, so I will be happy to teach her. Can't wait for her and family to move.

We went to birthday party for 3 of a neighbor's 4 boys, had hot dogs and took the boys a present. We got them a dome tent. All and all it was a nice day.

So today I hit it. I was cutting up tomatoes at 6:00 this morning and tossing them in two big pots. I loaded up the dehydrator with sliced tomatoes after shaking the seeds out. Then i went outside to do chores. I fed the animals and started picking. I picked the first purple hull peas and more eggplant. I picked a few Thai #3 long beans, Kentucky Wonder beans and a few tomatoes. My husband shelled the peas while I snapped the KW beans. I blanched the peas and bagged them for the freezer, got 3 bags. I cut the Diamond eggplant in half, microwave blanched it and vacuum sealed it, got 4 pkgs of 4 halves each. I peeled and sliced the rest and got 2 bags of 2 eggplant each. I peeled and cut the long eggplant, microwave blanched it and vacuum sealed it for the freezer, got 4 bags. We are going to see my sister this week and are taking her the peas and the long eggplant. I strained the tomatoes and returned the juice to the pots. I canned 4 pints of KW beans, not a lot, but they will be good this winter. That gives me 16 pints. In between, I cleaned up my messes. I sure do make a mess when i am canning. Finally I had cooked down the tomato sauce down and I canned it. I got 2 quarts and 9 pints. I am tired.

Latest posts