Baymule’s 2020 Garden

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :frow

Sulfur is usually short in composts that aren't manure based. Sulfur is necessary for nitrogen utilization. Sometimes N deficiencies are really sulfur deficiencies that the microbes need to utilize available nitrogen.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
good reason why i like to put the food scraps in with the worms to give the wood chip humus a boost before using it as my fertlizer.

if you don't want a pH change use gypsum or epsom salts instead of elemental sulphur (which is an acidifer i.e. it will make your soil pH lower).

if you are feeding your animals a mineral blend in the feed it is likely you're getting enough sulphur via that route.

whether it stays around or not will have a lot to do with the organic and clay content of your soils.

Xerocles

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Xerocles view of gardening:
dig a hole, drop a seed and cover. Jump back quick so the shoots don't poke your eye out.
Most people on TEG: (as xerocles hears them talking)
4 NH (g) + 5 O2 (g)↪4NO(g) + 6 H2O (g) 🔺H= -905.2 kJ/mol
Inter @60f
Activate PCE-RCM 11 instrument to test air particulate purity
:lol:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Xerocles view of gardening:
dig a hole, drop a seed and cover. Jump back quick so the shoots don't poke your eye out.
Most people on TEG: (as xerocles hears them talking)
4 NH (g) + 5 O2 (g)↪4NO(g) + 6 H2O (g) 🔺H= -905.2 kJ/mol
Inter @60f
Activate PCE-RCM 11 instrument to test air particulate purity
:lol:
Usually you are correct. When we get to messin with our ground and want good yields, we need to add. I’ve had years where my tomato plants were huge, green and blossom rot. Doesn’t take much to have them huge, green and edible fruits.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Baymule’s view of gardening. Dig hole, drop in seed, it comes up. Sun comes out and fries plant. Weeds take off, grow over my head. Turn the Sheep in, go to vegetable stand.
Don’t believe the first part at all....... see posts on trying to improve soil..... gotcha....

MinnesotaGardening

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We had drought last year, that’s how my garden didn’t grow! LOL

Wish we could have given you some of the rain from up here last year. After planting in my seeds/seedlings, I didn't water my plants once all summer and they were still unhappy from sitting in mud the whole summer. We had the wettest year ON RECORD where I live.

But your garden looks like its off to a great start! Hope we all get a little more average rain this upcoming year!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the year before was pretty wet too from what i recall. two years in a row of most of June being cloudy and rainy. we still had decent results, but i'm hoping for some more sunshine this year. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don’t believe the first part at all....... see posts on trying to improve soil..... gotcha....

next thing you know @seedcorn @baymule will be saying, "Oh woe is me, all these acres of fine improved pasture, garden soil you can push a shovel into without breaking your ankle on stomping on the shovel, all these animals, land above the floodplain, i just can't stand this any more, i think i'll make some fried ham and taters..."

Latest posts