Baymule’s 2020 Garden

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just finished canning spiced pickled beets, with some small onions tossed in for good measure. With the 7 pints I did a week ago, I have 23 pints. And a big mess to clean up, LOL

F5927650-87B1-495F-9040-33F7BFC94C15.jpeg

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hey Bay, have you tried using that heavy duty black plastic or maybe that black rubber stuff that is used at nursery's? You would probably have to put a water line of some kind in since not enough rain would get through.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey Bay, have you tried using that heavy duty black plastic or maybe that black rubber stuff that is used at nursery's? You would probably have to put a water line of some kind in since not enough rain would get through.
I'm afraid the black plastic would cook the vegetable plants.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
What are you feeding the beet skins to? Most of your critters would probably enjoy them. I remember the first time I fed the cooked beet skins to the chickens. The next morning I thought they were pooping pure blood before I remembered they'd eaten beet skins.

we just scrub them and cook the skins with the beets. the only parts we discard would be those areas that are thick, rough or damaged by bugs/critters (or us, but i guess we could qualify as a critter too :) ) and the bits of the top and bottom that we cut off.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What are you feeding the beet skins to? Most of your critters would probably enjoy them. I remember the first time I fed the cooked beet skins to the chickens. The next morning I thought they were pooping pure blood before I remembered they'd eaten beet skins.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I leave 2-3 inches of leaf stem and don’t cut the root. I boil the beets until done, then cut off tops and roots, then rub the skins off.

Just came in. Hot. I raked out the pea patch and planted top crop purple hull peas. The water sprinkler is going now. I pulled a wagon load of dark green leafy crab grass and gave to the sheep.

Latest posts