Baymule’s 2023 Garden

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Phaedra is right. Twigs, debris, leaves, everything possible in the bottom. I know you're not moving again, but when I knew I was, I'd put styrofoam peanuts in the bottom to make those large pots lighter.
I have been researching Hugelkulture, bc I do that when somebody here recommends it. I read many articles that also recommended it, too. THEN, I came upon 3 articles where the authors just Hated it! :sick
Make sure to really READ the whole article or watch the entire YouTube, Or do both, CC on, like I often do. :rolleyes:
Those who didn't like hugelkulture, in fact HATED it, made some dumb mistakes like planting perennials that you cannot dig out.
As I understand it, you are supposed to put only DEAD twigs and sticks at the bottom. Live ones will resurrect themselves.
It isn't a compost pile, and we shouldn't put viable weeds in one of those, either.
I did read that, as the trees parts rot they create a deep buried bed that holds moisture.
I hope to amend a 3' x 6' bed this way in the next few weeks.
CONGRATULATIONS!!
Container gardening will be such fun!! :hugs
(Wish I could find some of those tubs for my ponies!! They used to make them, but I haven't seen any for years, now.)

Last edited:

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
How did that become "recession?"

Dealing with my own lame spelling and the spell chequer is so dang depressing! Good thing that the snow is reflecting sunshine in every window!
I keep getting fir for for 🤔 now I've confused myself :th

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Boy your farm seems to be really coming along. Love the photos. AM I correct that you swear by deer repellant? That is what my memory is telling me. I cannot find any posts on deer repellent. What say you?
I want to find a slug repellant for my chickens coop

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Boy your farm seems to be really coming along. Love the photos. AM I correct that you swear by deer repellant? That is what my memory is telling me. I cannot find any posts on deer repellent. What say you?
No, I’m not the deer repellent lady. Maybe pee in a bucket and spray it around the garden? :lol: Or get some cougar urine. Who collects that anyway?

I want to find a slug repellant for my chickens coop
Copper wire or tubing, they won’t cross it.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been researching Hugelkulture, bc I do that when somebody here recommends it. I read many articles that also recommended it, too. THEN, I came upon 3 articles where the authors just Hated it! :sick

all true things to know, also how you site it depends upon your climate/rainfall. if you are in a more arid place you can put the organic materials down deeper so that the water can get in there and soak in instead of running off and you probably don't have to worry about things floating away. :)

i've used the technique to perch gardens up on top of organic materials but that was mainly because i wanted to store them someplace and that was where i had room to put them. eventually it mostly turned into peatlike stuff that i could dig up later to use. worked out just fine.

i will always bury stuff before i'd consider burning it. nutrients and energy will get used by the soil community instead of lost to the air without much chance of being used. wood ashes are useful materials but i don't need to generate any more here as i can get them from friends who burn wood all winter.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
No, I’m not the deer repellent lady. Maybe pee in a bucket and spray it around the garden? :lol: Or get some cougar urine. Who collects that anyway?

Copper wire or tubing, they won’t cross it.
Thanks Bay 😊

Latest posts