Baymule’s Farm

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
... Oh, don't mind me -- my melon head just starts clicking when someone mentions one of the most important reasons for me to have a garden. It can't be the only one because I gardened about 30 years before I had any success with melons at'all.

hahaha! melon head... :) i haven't seen a single melon yet but i have not looked very close yet through the jungle. i will get a better look tomorrow. i hope... :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Monday morning I took down the 60’ round pen. Fifteen 10’ panels and a walk through gate, I popped pins out and dragged panels to a H brace and propped them up against it. Then I mowed the bitterweed growing inside the pen.

IMG_4751.jpeg

IMG_4752.jpeg

IMG_4753.jpeg

Then son and I punched a few holes with tractor auger, in a few places.

He put the hay spear on my little tractor and I can now set round bales.

Then it was time for him to go. I was heat exhausted and did nothing the rest of the day. Went to town yesterday morning and did not much yesterday evening.

This morning my chore is unloading the treated 8’ long by 7” top fence posts. First make a place to put them. I carried concrete blocks from the stack about 30 feet to where I want to put the posts. I drove in 2 T-posts as a stop.

IMG_4783.jpeg

Then I dragged the pieces to the bolt on bucket forks to the tractor. I semi assembled them, soaked bolts in P B Blaster and took a break.

IMG_4782.jpeg

With lots of PB Blaster, a big crescent wrench and a large eye bolt, I was able to tighten down the bolts. That took awhile and lots of sweat.

IMG_4784.jpeg

I did it!

IMG_4785.jpeg

I took another cool down break with ice water. Then i sawed on the bundle straps with my dull pocket knife and loaded three posts on the forks and put them on the concrete blocks. According to the post company web site, they weigh 145 pound each, 10 pounds more than I weigh.

Heat was already ferocious.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I loaded 3 posts on the forks twice. I’d hit a bump and the back wheels popped up, so decided to only carry 2 posts at a time. LOL

IMG_4787.jpeg

IMG_4788.jpeg

I got 14 posts moved, 9 more to go. At 12 moon, I stopped. Not going to give myself a heat stroke trying to finish. Moved Anatolians and fixed myself a grill cheese sandwich. I ate, just resting now.

It may not look momentous, but at least I got a little something done today.

IMG_4789.jpeg

IMG_4790.jpeg

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I loaded 3 posts on the forks twice. I’d hit a bump and the back wheels popped up, so decided to only carry 2 posts at a time. LOL

View attachment 59424

View attachment 59425

I got 14 posts moved, 9 more to go. At 12 moon, I stopped. Not going to give myself a heat stroke trying to finish. Moved Anatolians and fixed myself a grill cheese sandwich. I ate, just resting now.

It may not look momentous, but at least I got a little something done today.

View attachment 59426

View attachment 59427
Looks momentous enough to me. I miss doing that same sort of farm work, but my aged muscles and dwindled energy reserves don't. Most of all I miss the livestock I once did this sort of work for. Again, what are these posts going to be used for?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks momentous enough to me. I miss doing that same sort of farm work, but my aged muscles and dwindled energy reserves don't. Most of all I miss the livestock I once did this sort of work for. Again, what are these posts going to be used for?
Corner posts, gate posts, set as H braces requiring two of these big posts with a smaller diameter post between them. Also as H braces in long spans of fence.

I bought 25 acres, part of a 3rd generation cattle ranch. Fences are barbed wire, old, run down and grown up in brush, briars and trees. My sheep require woven wire with 4” holes-to keep them in and the dogs that guard them. I have a lot of clean up to do before I can even build new fence.

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I took the day off yesterday, exhausted. Back at it today, to get the last 9 posts off the flatbed trailer. Can’t lift these from the side because of the rails. So I got a 20’ strap and pulled them off the back.

IMG_4796.jpeg

They turned sideways, so I eased the forks under one end, lifted and backed up until the other end cleared the trailer. Then I tilted the forks and it rolled to the bucket. Sometimes I had to get off the tractor (after setting the brake and putting it in neutral) and “help” the post get on the forks. LOL

IMG_4797.jpeg

This post snagged the angle iron at the back edge of the trailer and dragged the trailer backwards. The tongue Jack came off the block. I had the wheels chocked, but they skidded backwards too.

IMG_4798.jpeg

Oops. Gonna have to fix that.

IMG_4799.jpeg

Last two!

IMG_4800.jpeg

I put them on the pile, went back and eased the forks under the trailer tongue.

IMG_4801.jpeg

IMG_4802.jpeg

I blocked it back up and chocked the wheels again. Done. Parked tractor and got a quart jar of iced tea.

IMG_4803.jpeg

IMG_4804.jpeg

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I took the day off yesterday, exhausted. Back at it today, to get the last 9 posts off the flatbed trailer. Can’t lift these from the side because of the rails. So I got a 20’ strap and pulled them off the back.

View attachment 59441

They turned sideways, so I eased the forks under one end, lifted and backed up until the other end cleared the trailer. Then I tilted the forks and it rolled to the bucket. Sometimes I had to get off the tractor (after setting the brake and putting it in neutral) and “help” the post get on the forks. LOL

View attachment 59442

This post snagged the angle iron at the back edge of the trailer and dragged the trailer backwards. The tongue Jack came off the block. I had the wheels chocked, but they skidded backwards too.

View attachment 59443

Oops. Gonna have to fix that.

View attachment 59444

Last two!

View attachment 59445

I put them on the pile, went back and eased the forks under the trailer tongue.

View attachment 59446

View attachment 59447

I blocked it back up and chocked the wheels again. Done. Parked tractor and got a quart jar of iced tea.

View attachment 59448

View attachment 59449
You Da Queen! Anyone of your mishap's would have sent me indoors feeling sorry for myself. Especially when I am already too hot and uncomfortable. Stand back world, here comes Bay. (Ms. Get 'er done.)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
You Da Queen! Anyone of your mishap's would have sent me indoors feeling sorry for myself. Especially when I am already too hot and uncomfortable. Stand back world, here comes Bay. (Ms. Get 'er done.)
I operate under the premise that something will go wrong because something always goes wrong. Fix it or if it is a FUBAR, find someone to fix it. LOL

There’s a lot here I need help with, but there’s a lot I can do, just takes me longer.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Weaned ram lambs this morning. It was 67 degrees this morning!! It was so nice. And a high today of only 99!!!!!!

But the fires of Hades will be back tomorrow with a high of 106F, jumping up to 107. On Sunday we get the reminder that we don’t want to spend eternity like this, with a hike to 109F degrees. This is just getting stupid.

Neighbor Chase came this morning to get Eve and Lucy. I trimmed their feet, took fecal samples and wormed them anyway for the stress of moving to a new home. They are in a nice cool barn and will have a small pen. Both are bred to Cooper and are due in December. We unloaded them, fed them and he gave them hay. I couldn’t be happier for them. He also got one of the chocolate brown ram lambs, already named Angus. Having a flock of sheep has been a dream of his, and he’s now on his way.

Latest posts