Baymule’s Farm

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Don’t have pity on my sister. She chooses to live there, has done this before and knows the ropes. I told her one of these days she’s going to be too old and feeble to do this. She said she thought about that and she had a neighbor Lady, 92 years old, who just moved upstairs in the aftermath of a flood and hired a cleaning crew to come clean it all up. OKAAAAY SIS! So she has it worked out.

It’s a beautiful place, huge home on 3 acres, plus 11 acres they bought that fronts the highway. Her covered deck has more square feet than my double wide manufactured home. House with 3 acres would easily sell for 650,000. She’s not going anywhere.

Normally it’s the hurricanes and or tropical storms she deals with. All her important papers and such are upstairs. She has her hurricane supplies upstairs. But this time it was a rain storm that just wouldn’t stop.

I think she’s nuts for putting up with that, but I’ll stand up for her and fight anybody for her right to stay there.

She thinks I’m nuts for living down a dead end dirt road in the middle of nowhere, that floods. But my house don’t flood.

We’re a couple of stubborn old ladies, tougher than rawhide and don’t get in our way, we’ll run smack over you. :lol:
In a different way, we have a little in common. Not on your ladies level but nevertheless. Stubborn I most certainly am.

I'm always ready to find a way to live that's for sure. That started in me from infant hood, I seriously wouldn't be here now if I didn't have that instinct. I'd have been dead at a very early age had I not had the will to survive.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is the dilemma faced by the thousands of home owners and business owners affected by flooding in my state this past summer. There is talk of a state buyout of buildings in the flood zone in river valleys and returning that land to uninhabited wetlands. But picking up dwellings and rebuilding whole towns on higher ground is not easily done. A lot of people are trying to install walls, raise foundations, etc to mitigate expected future flood damage to their homes as they rebuild, but no one knows how long these modifications will hold.
Out in Borneo. They are houses built up on stilts. I wonder if that could be an option to think about.
I don't know I'm not there and I'm certainly not a builder

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
But what about the 957 more plants I want to grow?! 😂
I'm afraid you're asking the wrong person. I am the world's worst gardener.

How about growing upwards in pot's? I really liked the rotating pots idea. That's something I may look into myself because I don't have the back for digging into soil. 🤔Just a thought 😀

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Out in Borneo. They are houses built up on stilts. I wonder if that could be an option to think about.
I don't know I'm not there and I'm certainly not a builder
Our friends on an island in Florida basically have an open area beneath the living portion of their home, so this is sort of like being up on stilts. It allows storm surges to flow under without causing damage. All the houses on the island, and I think in coastal areas on the main-land, are built this way. It makes sense.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our friends on an island in Florida basically have an open area beneath the living portion of their home, so this is sort of like being up on stilts. It allows storm surges to flow under without causing damage. All the houses on the island, and I think in coastal areas on the main-land, are built this way. It makes sense.

new coastal builds in some places are pretty much now required to do this. my Dad moved into the place my step-sister and her hubby built in southern FL and it's up on stilts. it's an odd thing to me that they added a pool too as if any big storm comes through they'll likely end up with a pool full of mud/storm surge/debris... but i guess they'll have the $ to get it all cleaned out if that happens.

Last edited: