Baymule’s Farm

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I met my DD in Waco this morning at 10:00 for me to get my 2 little granddaughters. We met at a bakery, had coffee and yummy bakery goodies. Then put girls stuff in my car and left.

It took 2 1/2 hours to get home. We made bottles for the bottle triplets and the girls had fun!

IMG_6733.jpeg

I’ve been leaving my car at church for WEEKS and driving my Kawasaki mule over my terrible washed out road, splashing through the small pond in the road, sending showers of muddy water flying. I drive to my car, get in car and go. Come back, load groceries in mule and go back. County dumped a couple loads of rock in 2 places 2 weeks ago, started driving my truck to my car.

Do girls and I get back, put their stuff in the truck and turn down my road. The county was WORKING ON THE ROAD. It’s only slightly better, hope they come back tomorrow to do some more. They dumped a load of big rock in the pond, maintainer spread it. It’s big rock, 4 or 5 inches and makes the “improvements “ real lumpy and bumpy.

My friends that I did a sewing kit on their ewe’s “lady parts” because of a prolapse, own a truck accessories business. They came over yesterday, she got to bottle feed her triplet lambs and hug them. We visited and had a good time. Then he loaded up my mule and took it to his shop today. He had his employees put bright LED lights front and back, on my mule! Talk about LIGHT UP THE NIGHT! It’s awesome!

IMG_6735.jpeg

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I met my DD in Waco this morning at 10:00 for me to get my 2 little granddaughters. We met at a bakery, had coffee and yummy bakery goodies. Then put girls stuff in my car and left.

It took 2 1/2 hours to get home. We made bottles for the bottle triplets and the girls had fun!

View attachment 66320

I’ve been leaving my car at church for WEEKS and driving my Kawasaki mule over my terrible washed out road, splashing through the small pond in the road, sending showers of muddy water flying. I drive to my car, get in car and go. Come back, load groceries in mule and go back. County dumped a couple loads of rock in 2 places 2 weeks ago, started driving my truck to my car.

Do girls and I get back, put their stuff in the truck and turn down my road. The county was WORKING ON THE ROAD. It’s only slightly better, hope they come back tomorrow to do some more. They dumped a load of big rock in the pond, maintainer spread it. It’s big rock, 4 or 5 inches and makes the “improvements “ real lumpy and bumpy.

My friends that I did a sewing kit on their ewe’s “lady parts” because of a prolapse, own a truck accessories business. They came over yesterday, she got to bottle feed her triplet lambs and hug them. We visited and had a good time. Then he loaded up my mule and took it to his shop today. He had his employees put bright LED lights front and back, on my mule! Talk about LIGHT UP THE NIGHT! It’s awesome!

View attachment 66321
Such an adventure! At least for the 2 kiddos. You'll probably be glad when the road is finally repaired.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

View attachment 66320

View attachment 66321
Your life sounds is like a really good film.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Adding this here. Surround kaolin clay?

I've only just heard of this being a good bug deterrent.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
It’s been a hard week or so. Where do I start?

Last Wednesday, the 5th, I saw tapeworm segments in sheep poop. So the girls and I ran the ewes and lambs through the chute and I wormed the ewes.

I noticed a lamb looking real droopy, and decided to take a fecal sample to the vet for analysis. I was staggered by the results.

I have NEVER, EVER, NEVER had young lambs with worms. This constant rain has caused an unprecedented parasite bloom. Most of my lambs look good, some look bad and the one I took a fecal sample from, dropped dead. This came out of nowhere , all of a sudden. I suspected coccidia. It came back loaded with stomach worms, tapeworms and coccidia. The vet said everyone is having horrible problems with parasites.

All the rain, heat and more rain, mud and more rain has caused a parasite bloom like I’ve never experienced.

Vet recommended a shot of Dectomax, followed by a 5 day regimen of Panacur. I want to take fecal samples from some of the big healthy looking lambs, just to compare.

So, getting to the vet ladt Wednesday was quite the adventure. I took the Kawasaki mule after the rains quit, figuring the road would be sloppy muddy and the truck would probably slide off in a ditch. Road was a sloppy mess. Once on the paved road, the mule quit, I barely coasted onto the grassy shoulder. Great. Me and girls got out, they promptly stood on an ant hill. We slapped ants and picked off stragglers. A neighbor came by and I told him I ran out of fuel, diesel. He went and got some, mule started and we went to my car, parked at church.

At the 4 way stop, just up the road, was Chris, with hood of his truck up. He had stopped to help another man, then his truck wouldn’t start. Other guy left, I waited on Chris to tinker with his truck, he finally said he was out of gas. I offered to take him back to Apple Springs for gas, but he said just take him home and he’d catch a ride to get gas.

You can’t make this stuff up!

Thursday June 6

While the little girls watched cartoons, I dragged wire around, pounded T - posts and made a straight shot from gate at driveway to the opening of the working chute. I rigged up the driveway between gates to the front field where ewes and lambs are the gate of the pen across driveway. Finally I was ready and got the girls to help.

We did it. It took 2 hours to run the lambs and ewes through the chute, and work the lambs. A shot of Dectomax and a dose of Panacur. The girls were a huge help. One handed me syringes and held the bottle of Panacur, the other wrote down their tag numbers and checked off what treatment they got.

Three more lambs dead this morning, including the beautiful black and white spotted ewe lamb I was so excited about. I wanted to cry, but the tears wouldn’t come. There is another one that probably won’t make it.

There are several that look bad. Still on their feet, running around, but just don’t look good. If they survive, they will go to auction. They got a check under the letter A.

This has hit like a bolt of lightning. Heck of a way to cull the flock. I wish I could cry.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Friday June 7

No dead lambs this morning. Got all dosed with Panacur and 9 got iron shots. Only took a little over an hour .

One little ewe lamb is weak, she got an iron shot and Nutridrench

My sister fought the river and the river won. She is buying a smaller house in a real nice neighborhood in high ground, so that makes her the winner.

The same rains that flooded her out have wreaked havoc on my farm. I’ve had losses and it hurts. It seems the rains are beating me down, but I will overcome adversity. I am heartbroken, but I’ve dug in and I’m fighting back. I have some beautiful healthy lambs out there and I have to remember that.

It’s not just me. People all over East Texas and Southeast Texas are having the same problems with small livestock.

The rivers have taken a lot from people. Their homes, cars, trucks, everything but the clothes on their backs. Those without flood insurance have lost all they have. I keep reminding myself that I am blessed.

Basically it has rained almost continuously since January 8. There have been a few days of sunshine thrown in there, but not enough to dry the ground up.

My sister fought the river and the river won. She is buying a smaller house in a real nice neighborhood in high ground, so that makes her the winner.

The same rains that flooded her out have wreaked havoc on my farm. I’ve had losses and it hurts. It seems the rains are beating me down, but I will overcome adversity. I am heartbroken, but I’ve dug in and I’m fighting back. I have some beautiful healthy lambs out there and I have to remember that.

It’s not just me. People all over East Texas and Southeast Texas are having the same problems with small livestock.

The rivers have taken a lot from people. Their homes, cars, trucks, everything but the clothes on their backs. Those without flood insurance have lost all they have. I keep reminding myself that I am blessed.

Saturday June 8

Another lamb dead this morning. That makes 6. I’m leaving ewes and lambs in the pen that connects to the working chute. I won’t have the girls to help run them through. They are going home today. 2 more days of Panacur. Then one day of Toltrazuril for coccicidia.

They are going to hate me for cooping them up, but too bad. The girls helping me has been a HUGE help. Katahdin lambs scatter like quail. Trying to herd them all across the driveway and get gate shut before the first one turn around to run back, it makes me hate sheep. LOL So frustrating. So they can just eat hay the next few days. Yes, I’m a mean sheep mommy.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sunday June 9

I got all the lambs worked and medicated this morning. Came in at 8:49 and got a shower. Got time to spare before church class at 9:30.

The little girls help was great. The ewes now know they get feed and treats in the chute and they line up bawling to be let in. It was easy to get the lamb stragglers in too.

I’m going to make a new list, can’t read the scrawl and some numbers are duplicates. New list tomorrow and I’ll know who I have. I’ll match up to ewes.

Best of all, no dead lambs this morning.

Monday June 10

I worked the lambs through the chute, gave them last dose of Panacur. Today is the medicine for coccidia. There was one yesterday evening that wasn’t looking good at all.

Latest posts