Baymule’s Farm

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
How about a little cuteness to make us smile? Normally I clamp one bottle with my knees and one in each hand, but I was able to maneuver it to one hand so I could get pictures.

IMG_6695.jpeg

IMG_6696.jpeg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The tractor saga…….
Before my son left on Sunday, he hooked up the bush hog on my tractor. He showed me a small square plug on the side of the gear box and a bigger bolt on top. He said take out the side plug, take off the top plug and fill with 90 weight gear oil until it runs out the side.

Ok, I got this! Carson and I went to Lufkin on Monday and got a quart bottle of 90 weight gear oil. When we got home, it was time to feed bottle lambs, then the dogs and sheep.

Tuesday was go get feed day, trying to beat the coming storm, barely made it. Then winds up to 80 MPH, hard rains and 2 trees across the driveway. No tractor work Tuesday. No power either.

Wednesday! I worked sheep through the chute, wormed the girls that are on a 5 day treatment and they didn’t get it Tuesday. LOL

Then I turned my attention to the gear box. Soaked both plugs with PB Blaster. Tried all kinds of wrenches, finally found a fit and got the plugs out. Filled with gear oil and put plugs back in. Now, grease it! I looked and looked for a grease gun. I have 2, but they are somewhere safe, cause I sure can’t find them. Come on Carson! Let’s go to Lowe’s! It’s only 30 miles away.

Carson made lots of new friends at Lowe’s. I got a shiny new blue grease gun. Came home, time to do feeding and get ready for church.

Thursday! I did morning chores. Got a brief rain shower, the sun came out. I got my new grease gun out of the box and read instructions on how to put it together. It ain’t rocket science but I’m no genius either. I got it together.

IMG_6697.jpeg

I got the grease tube. Hmm…. Read the instructions. Which end goes where?

IMG_6698.jpeg

Got to pull the plunger thing out. I did. I poked a wood stake ( the same one I beat the rattlesnake’s head to mush with) down the tube, then measured it next to the grease tube. Nope, I gotta pull more of that plunger thing out. I measured it with the snake beating stake again. Nope, still haven’t pulled it far enough. This was gonna require some serious pulling. I braced with my feet and pulled.

IMG_6699.jpeg

Measured with snake bashing stake, measured against grease tube, I did it! I put treasure in and screwed top on. Then i happily started greasing the tractor.

Until…….

I put the hose coupling on a grease fitting and could not get it back off. I pulled, I pulled some more. I got vise grips

IMG_6700.jpeg

I tried an assortment of tools, to no avail. For over an hour I walked from tractor to shed, rummaging around like a frantic rat, trying to find the magic tool that could get down in that tight spot and break loose the coupling. Failure after failure, putting up tools, trying something else.

IMG_6702.jpeg

I found it! Eureka!

IMG_6703.jpeg

I pried the coupling off the grease fitting!

There’s just no room to get hold of anything down in there

IMG_6704.jpeg

I put tools away. I started mowing around the house, then down the driveway.

IMG_6705.jpeg

I mowed both sides and around the entrance. Then I mowed down the middle. Before I got done, it was raining. I parked tractor and ran for the house.

I fixed an early supper, rain stopped. I went outside and fed animals, barely finishing before the rains returned. It’s started back to storming, wind blowing rain sideways again. I was watching the news for the weather report. Oh goodie! Another storm blowing in the morning at 5 or 6 AM. How lucky can one get!!!!!

Power went off. Just freakin fantastic. Y’all have no idea of the fun I’m having here. I got a glass of wine and watched it rain with my trusty friend, the Tac light. LOL

Power came back on about an hour later. That was a nice surprise.

This morning. Woke up to rain. Pouring rain. Thankfully no 80 MPH winds. Supposed to be out of here by noon. No feeding this morning. I’ll go out when rain stops and dump water out of feed troughs, feed bottle babies, feed all the animals.

This is not going to help the unfortunate people whose homes flooded just weeks ago. Rain is falling over the watersheds of both the Trinity and San Jancinto Rivers.

My sister met with the man and real estate agent yesterday, that she is buying the house from. She thinks she may be able to move in 2-3 weeks. They discussed her renting the house for those weeks before they close. Moving can’t come fast enough.

It’s still raining.

I am not going to complain. My home is dry, not flooded. I am Blessed. I am not going to complain. I sure would like to pitch a hissy fit and have a total meltdown, but I’m gonna suck it up and count my blessings.

At least I got to mow a little yesterday.

My road is flooded again.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’d be thrilled beyond words just to be able to mow!
Winds just came up. Great. On FB there’s a warning of trees down, blocking highway 94 going into Lufkin.

Oh Bay...I woulda cried a bunch for a while.

I only cry when one of my beloved animals die. Bury them, cry some more, then get hugs from my dogs.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Due to all the rains, the San Jancinto River authorities opened the dam gates on Lake Conroe yesterday afternoon. Water was in the park across the street from my sister’s house. She has spent weeks cleaning and packing items she was able to salvage downstairs. She called in help and in 2 hours, every box was packed up, a mattress and her little dogs, were at her new house. God bless the owner for letting her move in NOW instead of waiting for closing on the purchase.

She’s gonna call around 7:30 to let me know status of the River. If it’s not across the entrance road, we are moving her today. I’ll hitch up my stock trailer and go. I’ve been outside and fed bottle lambs, I’ll feed them again before I leave. On my second cup of coffee, then outside to feed sheep and be ready to go.

My sister will be ok, but here comes floods for the poor people down river who are getting hit again. I hope not, rain has stopped and looks like we might get a chance to dry out.

My sister spent the first night in her new home. Welcome home sis.

Latest posts