Baymule’s Farm

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Btw, did you learn anything that would make you choose katahdins over dorpers?btw, squirrels can be tasty
I started with Dorper/Katahdin cross ewes and a black head Dorper ram. He was bent on destroying me every chance he got. I quickly learned that black head Dorpers are fairly psychotic. I didn’t like the docked tails either. Katahdins come in all colors, no tail docking and have a more calm demeanor. No brainer. I switched.

I’ve hunted and cleaned squirrels with my grandpa. My grandmother fried them. I’ve cooked squirrels as an adult, but not in a long time. Not too fond of them right now…… taking my car in for repair this morning.

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I started with Dorper/Katahdin cross ewes and a black head Dorper ram. He was bent on destroying me every chance he got. I quickly learned that black head Dorpers are fairly psychotic. I didn’t like the docked tails either. Katahdins come in all colors, no tail docking and have a more calm demeanor. No brainer. I switched.

I’ve hunted and cleaned squirrels with my grandpa. My grandmother fried them. I’ve cooked squirrels as an adult, but not in a long time. Not too fond of them right now…… taking my car in for repair this morning.
My dorper ram was white and very goid as he was aloof and stayed away from me so I had no fear of him, and I never docked tails or had probs with them. It just seemed the dorpers finished out heavier and faster

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My dorper ram was white and very goid as he was aloof and stayed away from me so I had no fear of him, and I never docked tails or had probs with them. It just seemed the dorpers finished out heavier and faster
Yes they do. I’ve been gifted with 5 white Dorper ewes from a friend in California. Her rams come from top breeders in Oregon, Utah and California. A judge from South Africa graded her sheep, almost all at a 5, highest grade possible. I have 2 she graded, both are 5’s. I’m going to incorporate them into my flock, on the grade up Katahdin program. I record the offspring as half, then 3/4, them 7/8. At 7/8 they can be fully registered if they pass inspection.

The White Dorpers have a much better attitude than the crazy Black Head Dorpers. But I still like the Katahdins better.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lucy gifted me with triplets this morning. 2 boys, 1 girl. Ewe lamb is the smallest, but is feeding. Lucy is a good mom and has plenty of milk. I’ll watch closely and supplement if needed. The triplets are out of my old registered ram, Ringo, who is gone now. Lucy is out of Miranda, also gone now and a Black Head Dorper ram that went to Freezer Camp. Lucy and Ringo always had beautiful lambs. I have 1 ewe from them, now I’ll have 2.

647408FC-AA4B-4AA3-86B6-E6E05D2BCAC7.jpeg

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes they do. I’ve been gifted with 5 white Dorper ewes from a friend in California. Her rams come from top breeders in Oregon, Utah and California. A judge from South Africa graded her sheep, almost all at a 5, highest grade possible. I have 2 she graded, both are 5’s. I’m going to incorporate them into my flock, on the grade up Katahdin program. I record the offspring as half, then 3/4, them 7/8. At 7/8 they can be fully registered if they pass inspection.

The White Dorpers have a much better attitude than the crazy Black Head Dorpers. But I still like the Katahdins better.
I am so jealous!! I had to let go of all my sheep a couple years ago, (including my favorite ewe who had triplets every year and raised them herself) and am looking for a couple black headed ewes. My LGDs both passed away just before Heathen. I’ve been offered a free Estrela from a friend who breeds them and am so ready to bring her onboard. I just need to find the lambs!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday evening I had to pull the tiniest triplet and bring her in the house. I’ve kept a close eye on her, she was nursing and getting milk, but yesterday her bigger brothers were pushing her off the milk teat. She was hunched up, cold and shivering. I stuck my finger in her mouth and it was cold. A cold lamb is a dead lamb, so I scooped her up. I wrapped her up in a towel and heating pad. It took a couple of hours to get her warmed up. Can’t feed a cold lamb, they can’t digest the milk and they will die. So warmth first, milk second. She wouldn’t take the bottle so had to feed her with an eye dropper. She took 1 1/2 ounces. Before bedtime she took 2 ounces.

Carson was so excited! He wanted to love the baby and would have got in my lap too, if he could.

IMG_4162.jpeg

IMG_4158.jpeg

IMG_4154.jpeg

I put her in the bathroom overnight, she woke me up at 5:30, hungry. 2 ounces by eye dropper and she is content, in my lap, wrapped in a towel and warm. On BYH, I said she’s so tiny, no bigger than a bit of dandelion fluff, so her name is Dandelion. She is daughter of Ringo, my old ram that I had to put down recently and I really wanted a ewe. I got 2 strapping big boys and diminutive Dandelion. I raised a tiny triplet ewe once before, can’t tell her size wise from her sisters now. Dandelion here we go!

I’ll go to Lufkin this morning and get a dog crate, milk supplies and baby diapers. What is sweeter than a little tiny lamb?

Latest posts