Baymule’s Farm

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know a couple of the guys on the crew, that might’ve helped. Plus I’m super nice to the crew whenever I can. They take so much ugly crap off people, people complain, gripe and act like they are the only ones on earth. I always say thank you and I appreciate what y’all do, about a hundred times.
Bay, I'm sure they would also appreciate a glass of your sweet ice tea. When we see city workers working on our street we kill them with kindness. When they chopped down an old redwood tree that was leaning into power lines they gave me mulched and a couple of trunk pieces that my son wanted. Delivered right to my doorstep lol.

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seems the pup,has taught some bad habits to others"....
Sentry has always been reliable in with ewes and lambs, even when giving birth. Puppy has not been left in with ewes and lambs overnight. At least I have that much sense. In Lindale, ewes giving birth sent out a CALLING ALL BOBCATS alert! I put Sentry in the barn with them to keep the bobcats out. Never lost a lamb to a bobcat. He’s always been very protective of the lambs, but this is going too far.

I’m just glad the ewe didn’t reject her dog slobbered baby.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
And here’s the new arrivals. Nora wouldn’t come out of the Quonset hut when I fed, so I took her some feed.

IMG_4407.jpeg

IMG_4408.jpeg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The dog napped lamb wasn’t doing well this morning. I brought her inside around 11, wrapping her in a towel and heating pad. Got her cozy warm, she only took a couple ounces of colostrum. She was limp, got worse and died just a little while ago. It’s storming, at least she was dry, warm, cuddled and as comfortable as I could make her.

I put in a new post and mailbox this morning, it took several hours. Hardest part was digging the hole through hard packed ground. The rest was just time consuming.

70810207155__AC674E2A-4BE6-45CC-8701-BD32F37F0E36.jpeg

IMG_4413.jpeg

I heard that low rumbling sound ewes make at their babies when they are born. The flock was all together but Cookie was off by herself. I went to investigate and found her with a beautiful black ewe lamb, not breathing. I took the lamb by the hind legs and swung her in circles. If there is fluid in the lungs, it helps to clear it out. I laid her in the grass, robbing her chest, swung her again, rubbed her some more. She was dead. I took her to the sheep pen and laid her in the grass. Cookie really wanted her baby, licked her dry and even pawed at her, trying to make her get up.

Then she had another lamb. I removed the dead one so Cookie would concentrate on the live one, and soon she was up and sucking. She is a pretty red and white lamb.

So 4 lambs born, lost 2, have 2. Of course the dead 2 are the biggest and prettiest.

IMG_4415.jpeg

IMG_4416.jpeg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, you said baby lamb was struggling to breathe. Could it be that Sentry was retrying to revive it by licking it? Just a thought in defense of him.

Mary

Flowerbug I'm serious. Don't laugh at me haha.
No Mary, I think the poor lamb was struggling to breathe because a dog doesn’t know how to stimulate the newborn like the mother does. The lamb wasn’t thriving yesterday and obviously had problems today. I brought her to the house and did all I could for her, but she died a little while ago.

It sucks, but I gotta take the bad with the good. I have more ewes coming due, maybe I’ll have better luck-and keep Sentry away!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I feel like sheep have a rather high mortality rate though. I used to take my dogs to a couple of sheep farms for duck herding and agility lessons, and there was often a lost lamb or a lost ewe being discussed. Not every birth of course, but often enough.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
It happens. With Livestock you get Deadstock. Fortunately more live than die. I seldom lose any lambs, so I guess it’s my turn to give someone else a break.

Last night, Pinto, daughter of Ewenique (original ewe, 9 years old) and Ringo, bred to Cooper, had twin ram lambs.

IMG_4427.jpeg

Latest posts