Baymule’s Farm

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Heat advisory in effect here. Heat index ranging from 110F to 115F plus humidity. Sweat rolls off me, just standing in the shade doing nothing. I’m soaking wet in mere minutes. I drink plenty of fluids, so y’all don’t worry. I’m being careful and taking breaks. I come inside around 11 or 12 and try to stay out of the worst heat. Storms north of me, tornadoes yesterday in the Texas panhandle that killed several people.

Texas is hot, but this is extremely hot for June. Normally we don’t get this hot until August. It’s miserable.
Weather has been nuts all over the country. We are already in Moderate drought. Desperately needing rain. Hot for June but dry. Normally we have high humidity. That will come.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ewe crew is in the yard, happily grazing. Lambs have run, played and nestled in the grass for naps.

I just witnessed something extraordinary. Pinto only had one of her lambs and was baa baaing for the other one. She wasn’t distressed to the point of leaving lush grass to go look for the errant one yet, but was clearly worried. Carson was trotting from group to group and finally stopped about 10 feet from the sleeping missing lamb. He went into a slow calculated stalk. I watched, ready to scold if he got stupid. He stalked right up to the lamb and froze in a Labrador “point”. The lamb woke up and began to Baa baa, looking for mom. Carson followed from a respectable distance until the lamb and mom were reunited.

The slow stalk and point blew me over, what is so outstanding is Carson KNEW which lamb belonged to Pinto! Amazing!

Now for the clincher…. After finding Pinto and getting milk, the lamb SQUATTED to pee. A girl! I mis-looked and thought she was a ram! No! It’s a ewe lamb! I have 3 ewe lambs Update my number to 30 ewes! She is white with a brown splotch on her butt.

IMG_4509.jpeg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh my goodness! Carson just did it again! Cookie was looking for her lamb. I asked Cookie, “Where’s Ginger? Where’s your baby?”

Carson sprang up, looking worried, and checked out several lambs sleeping in the grass. He didn’t even get close before turning away. So I asked HIM, “Where’s Ginger?” I followed him. So did Cookie, still Baa baaing for her lamb. He alerted at the portable building, Ginger was under it! Cookie called and Ginger came out from under the building.

Incredible. Carson has put lambs and ewes together and knows who belongs to who. Incredible, just incredible.

IMG_4513.jpeg

IMG_4514.jpeg

IMG_4512.jpeg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
What fun to follow your little family of sheep. Kudos to you for not docking the tails on these beautiful little critters. They are clearly living the good life, and it appears they are pretty effective lawnmowers too.
Dorper hair sheep get their tails docked.
Katahdin breed standard requires NO tail docking, leaving it long and natural. I have some Dorper influence in a few of my sheep, and I don’t dock. I found that I preferred Katahdin over the Dorpers. I have 8 registered Katahdin ewes now.

I’m glad you are enjoying my sheep!

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Dorper hair sheep get their tails docked.
Katahdin breed standard requires NO tail docking, leaving it long and natural. I have some Dorper influence in a few of my sheep, and I don’t dock. I found that I preferred Katahdin over the Dorpers. I have 8 registered Katahdin ewes now.

I’m glad you are enjoying my sheep!
So good to hear this about Carson! He is a smart dog!
So what's the reason behind docking sheep tails?