Baymule’s Farm

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
with flatland water you really have to understand the bigger picture (where the water flows at all stages from small amounts of rain because that is your ground water flow) and then up to what happens when all your surrounding rivers are topped off and how far above flood stage you are and where you might need to be to survive.

when i moved in here i started getting a real lesson on all of this sort of thinking. topographic maps are really good to have or find. your local library or county people should be able to help if you haven't gone that route yet. 100yr flood maps, etc. all good to look at and think about. it sure beats staring at the walls. :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
with flatland water you really have to understand the bigger picture (where the water flows at all stages from small amounts of rain because that is your ground water flow) and then up to what happens when all your surrounding rivers are topped off and how far above flood stage you are and where you might need to be to survive.

when i moved in here i started getting a real lesson on all of this sort of thinking. topographic maps are really good to have or find. your local library or county people should be able to help if you haven't gone that route yet. 100yr flood maps, etc. all good to look at and think about. it sure beats staring at the walls. :)
I’m not in danger of being flooded and totally covered, not near any river and no creek on the property. When it comes down so hard and fast, water kinda piles up. There is a creek that I cross in 2 places before I get to the paved road, it is very deep and easily carries the water away. Water piles up in lower flat places, it makes driving in or out interesting. LOL

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Total of NINE INCHES of rain, so far. It won’t stop until around 7 in the morning. Sheep are muddy, but prefer their muddy pens and shelters to standing in the pounding rain. I left gates open to the fields all day, but they seldom ventured out. During a break in the driving rain to a drizzle, I went out and set a fresh round bale of hay for them with the tractor.

I put the Anatolians in the front yard so they could stay on the porch. I laid out dry fluffy towels for them to lay on. Sentry happily immediately sat on his. Sheba had taken Carson’s bed, but gave it up for the dry fluffy towel. Buford, undecided, wagged his tail, grinning, sniffed the more than soggy Carson bed and laid on the wood deck. At least it has a cover so they aren’t pounded by the rain.

IMG_5849.jpeg

The rain let up just a little, a few ewes went out on the field. That made Buford antsy, wanting to go to work, but the rain picked back up and they are going back to their shelters. I put a towel down for Buford. This resulted in fruit basket turn over as Sheba claimed the new towel, Sentry took Sheba’s towel and both growled at Buford. Sheba went back to Carson’s bed, leaving 2 towels empty. Dog pack politics. Poor Buford, he just can’t win.

IMG_5851.jpeg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dogs are not on the porch this morning. I’m guessing they went back to the shed where I put down hay, dry and warm. I backed the tractor out and the Kawasaki mule out to give them plenty of room. Sentry has a tendency to claim everything. At 90 pounds he’s the smallest of all my dogs, but he’s the Alpha male and he doesn’t let the others forget it.

IMG_5837.jpeg

Latest posts