Baymule's 2015 Garden From Raw Land

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Weeds are winning. Tomatoes were delayed by cooler than normal spring, rained on for 2months, now the sun is out with a vengeance and some are scalded and rotting. Not staked, sprawled out, I'll take what I get and be happy with it.

Have bumblebee okra. Stunted by the above mentioned weather, it's about knee high to a bumblebee.

Calico peas are running riot. Looks like a good harvest coming. Pink eye purple hulls are blooming and they look happy.

Corn, I'll count my blessings if I get enough for seed to try again.

Squash. Total failure.

Red Marconi peppers, loaded! At least they like the weird weather!

Eggplant, lost in weeds. Needs serious rescue.

Asparagus crowns I got on markdown markdown at Tractor Supply are coming up!

Butterbeans are blooming like crazy and have a few pods.

Greenbeans are climbing haystring trellis.

Some things are total failure, some just so-so, and some are looking really good.

Anybody have a good recipe for yukky weeds?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
know the feeling about the weed problem, spent 2 hrs last weekend pulling them in the main garden expansion, it's a stalemate so far.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, you know that a garden is not a project that is done in an instant and all that's left is to wait for harvest. You are working with land that has not been gardened for years. There are weed seeds beneath your soil that can lay in waiting for years before popping up between your tomatoes or peppers.

It should be enough that you have something planted and that you will get produce from your land. You are among the first to recommend to new gardeners to start small, learn about your land, weather, and specific challenges as you slowly expand your experience and your garden space.

I know that in 3-4 years you can have veggies fit for a Master Gardener, but it takes time, perseverance, and hard work. And realize also that the garden is but a small part of what you see around you that needs doing. Give yourself a pat on the back and don't worry overmuch about what's not doing well. Just keep at what you can do. Your land will be what you make of it and someday you will be proud of what you see when you step outside.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well said Red! I know it will take several years to get it going good. We live on a sand dune without the ocean. Gotta fight back a bunch of sumac....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our food crops, even many of our weeds, are fellow travelers. We carry them through generations of farmers and gardeners to get to where we are now.

Sometimes, we are on ground that has never grown any of these plants. Even their wild relatives have not found a native environment suitable to survive. Here we are, trying to shoehorn them in where they have never grown before.

The good news is that they have partners - us. The modifications we bring, along with our domestic animals, are often helpful to our domestic plants. Teamwork.

Changes don't happen overnight. It might take lots of compost ;).

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is flower not weed. Feel better? ;)

Weed just plant in wrong place-your decision.

What is bumblebee okra?