Baymule's 2016 Garden

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, nothing is impossible ...
German: When dog will bark a tail.
I guess it's like Steve.

I may be all bark and no bite but let's not be barking up the wrong tree ...

Since Murphy's law is a given so that "whatever can go wrong, will go wrong," it may be raining pigs and sheep on @baymule 's trip to @Larisa 's garden.

Steve
on the border of ID/WA where it's been raining cats and dogs ..!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, tell me how much you like those cattle panels at the end of the season. That's when it will mean something. I've never tried double rows, not sure how that will work. But I'm sure you will tell us.

The double rows worked out great. I could reach to the middle from either side. I got lots of tomatoes, dehydrated a lot of them, canned whole tomatoes and made tomato sauce. The vines died back in the heat of July-August, which I expected. What I didn't expect was that they would take off again! They made tomatoes, but the darn stink bugs ruined them all. It finally got cooler and the stink bugs went away. Right before a frost we picked green tomatoes and had fried green tomatoes. We also picked a couple of gallons of green cherry tomatoes and I made green tomato pickles. The netting we put over the cow panels was a good idea until they took off for Part Two. Now they are a mess of netting and vines. :idunno

I like using double or triple rows because I get more in less space. The double rows of tomatoes in the cow panels gave me a good harvest.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay I had green pickles tomatoes once as a kid. During the summer got it into my head to try them again. Thanks to internet found a company that made them. I couldn't believe the price :thand they wheren't as good as I remembered.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's something that you can do as a gardener, @Nyboy - try different things. I don't think I had ever tried lots of vegetables until I realized that I could try to grow them. And, there they were! And, I could decide to come up with a way to use them in the kitchen.

I've just been thinking about that old garden I had beside the "manor house." It was a right triangle with two sides of equal length. I slowly got it all into beds with permanent paths but it was certainly odd that it was a triangle. I had fun.

The growing of things invites creativity. One strives for success and productivity.

Every location and crop can be a challenge but there are rewards!

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting. I thought they'd be overgrown and hard to get to. Glad to hear they worked out.

They didn't get overgrown with weeds because I laid cardboard down and cut holes just big enough to insert the tomato plants. It worked out great!

Bay I had green pickles tomatoes once as a kid. During the summer got it into my head to try them again. Thanks to internet found a company that made them. I couldn't believe the price :thand they wheren't as good as I remembered.

The ones I made are sweet and spicy. I sold several pint jars for $8 to some of my egg customers.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I meant the tomato plants themselves. Were they indeterminate? Did you prune them?
Yes, they were indeterminate and no, I did not prune them. Right now they are taller than my head, I'm 5'7". My tomatoes were always crispy dead by August, these looked right poorly, but got a second wind and took off again! I'll be ready for them next year. I loved the double row of tomatoes, the cow panels are awesome! Oh, some of the vines fell over the cow panels, took off growing again and grew over the top of the cow panel again! these cow panels are the gosh-darndest best idea for tomato trellis ever in my whole life!!! Thanks for posting your idea and pictures!!! :weee:weee:weee

Latest posts