Baymule's 2018 Garden

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a short row of turnips, we like the greens. I got several bags of greens in the freezer and we have had turnips, roasted, a few times. Last night I cubed some up, boiled until done, then drained all the water off. I plopped some butter, salt and pepper on ‘em and they were good. So I decided to pull the turnips and can them. The greens are gone anyway. I got a wash pan of turnips that yielded 15 pints of turnips. Now we’ll have to try them to see if we like them.

5F2B7A2E-0C1F-407D-956D-40B3442774FE.jpeg

1B866880-6AD0-42D4-B4B5-C24936DB41A2.jpeg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Collector yes, we have tackled a lot of projects this spring. It feels good to have these things done. We got 2 bales of compressed cardboard from our local Tractor Supply. We have been de-taping the boxes and laying them out in the garden, then covering with mulch. Even though we may not get a great garden this year, what we are doing now will help next year.

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't guess I'm a turnip fan. I like the greens, but not much on the turnip itself.

Decades ago when I was a hungry teen, I was poking through icebox for something to eat and came across some peculiar looking mashed taders. They didn't taste good, so I threw them out. Mom was not happy about me throwing that big bowl of turnips in the trash.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a short row of turnips, we like the greens. I got several bags of greens in the freezer and we have had turnips, roasted, a few times. Last night I cubed some up, boiled until done, then drained all the water off. I plopped some butter, salt and pepper on ‘em and they were good. So I decided to pull the turnips and can them. The greens are gone anyway. I got a wash pan of turnips that yielded 15 pints of turnips. Now we’ll have to try them to see if we like them.

View attachment 26287

View attachment 26286

did you pressure can? or pickle them?

my favorite way to cook them is to pan fry so they can get a little burnt. i like almost everything a little burnt. lol

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't guess I'm a turnip fan. I like the greens, but not much on the turnip itself.

Decades ago when I was a hungry teen, I was poking through icebox for something to eat and came across some peculiar looking mashed taders. They didn't taste good, so I threw them out. Mom was not happy about me throwing that big bowl of turnips in the trash.
Butter makes anything taste better !!!! salt too

Latest posts