Baymule's 2018 Garden

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My neighbor's tree has the typical white beautiful plum flowers. The tree is big with no thorns. Guess it's not a wild one.

Mary

There are plum (and peach) trees that are grown just for their blooms and are not supposed to develop fruit.

Mom had a flowering peach that gave small sweet white fleshed fruit every year.
We also had an ornamental flowering plum that fruited off and on. They were not full sized, but very tasty.

I'm not sure why my mom went for the ornamental fruitless varieties, unless it was the novelty and no mess.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
i planted 3 peach trees . Before I bought them I poated and asked who in the north had the best peach trees. Reliance came back the winner. I did not go clearance but bought grade A from local nursery. Soon after planting they flowered and it was love at 1st sight. I think they are one of the prerrtest spring trees.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
many wild apple trees are somewhat sour fruits, but if you can find some that are not too bad they make excellent source for dehydrated apples because they sweeten as they dry.

friend up north would cruise around and find trees to get free apples from and it was a great snack.

no spraying of those trees at all.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Collector do the apple trees produce apples you can eat ? Here where I am apple trees have to be sprayed all summer if you want fruit you can eat. So I am always interested in trees that produce with out spraying, one day I might want to try grafting.

I don't ever spray my apples, but I'm not so sure it's because of what variety they are. I think it's more likely that it's our different climate, and also there are no large orchards anywhere close to me to pass on diseases.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
35209519-b7bd-493d-9c13-61126dcd5966-jpeg.25918

Do you cook the tops ~ the greens ```

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Believe area does make a difference. G’parents in TN never sprayed their apple tree and harvested bushels of good apples. Up here, have to spray or get narly looking apples-scabs.

Latest posts