Baymule's 3rd Lambing!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I have expecting ewes, I check them first thing when I get up. Lily is the last to Lamb. I had already done morning chores and was looking out the bathroom window and noticed she was restless. She dug nests, laid down, then was up again.

This is the first time we got to watch a birth.

97c6733e-9415-4ce3-9117-76d314fb16b9-jpeg.43307

After repeated down-push-up she had the Lamb half hanging out, and gave a final push.

25657ec7-58f7-4794-b428-2f1d44d92d71-jpeg.43308

7073fd48-28cc-490b-b539-8cae26496436-jpeg.43309

Lily licked and baa’d softly to her Lamb. He was on his feet and nursing within 8 minutes.

a30388bd-ccc1-4f0a-9de5-e289fcf245cd-jpeg.43311

Trip kept a close eye on things.

6470e612-3f35-456c-bca8-e12d800cb7f5-jpeg.43312

88907a9b-0a6e-4008-b030-199fd453bfe7-jpeg.43313

Bay, thanks for the pics...this is just wonderful!!! And that ewe is lovely...she reminds me of my Lil Mo Fat...a nice, fat gal. I got to see her have her first and it was a wondrous thing to watch. Look at all the support she got from the flock and from Trip...I love how sensitive these sheep and also these LGDs are.

My own LGD I had and also Jake made sure I knew that I was getting a lamb...came to the house and barked at the house until I came out, then raced up the orchard and barked towards the ewe, then looked back at me. Sort of like an episode of Lassie. :D And, like your pics, the dogs and the other sheep waited and watched the whole birth, all very close to the action and seeming to have empathy for it all.

Thank you for documenting all your lambs here and on SS for us...I really miss having my Kats, so being able to see them and living vicariously through your posts really helps. :hugs

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn my sheep are pretty hardy. This is my 3rd lambing and it's the first time I actually got to witness the birth. I've gotten out there to see the lambs still wet, but already up, the ewe not even passed the afterbirth yet. I make sure they have unlimited hay, give them a coffee can of feed twice a day, clean water and they do the rest.

I had a very bad year last year, not posted here, but on BYH. I lost two lambs due to my own ignorance, the ewe had a ruptured pre pubic tendon, her belly was hanging, putting her lungs in a bind and she had to be put down. Naturally she was my favorite, my pet, and it was pretty rough for me. Then another ewe had twins and the ewe lamb was born with her internal organs outside her body. I did what I had to do. I cried a lot, and I am not one to cry, but it tore my heart out.

But even with all that, I have to say sheep are pretty idiot proof. Despite my own ignorance, they thrive. I adore them. Yes, I had losses, but if I quit, I would not have the joys that they give me.

Yes, the latest arrival is a single. His mother was also a single and she had a single last year. I had 2 sets of twins this year, and I am thrilled to have ewe lambs, one from each set. Those 2 ewes always have twins, but I haven't had ewes from then until now. The ewe lamb with her organs born outside her body was from one of these ewes and the ewe had licked the poor lamb clean, and did her best to care for her. Both ewes are wonderful mothers and very milky.

I've had cattle and had mortality issues with them too. It all goes back to that saying, "If you have Livestock, you get DEADstock."

@Beekissed the dogs are super with the lambs. They both keep their respectful distance, but are right there to protect. I also love the way the whole flock gathers around the ewe. Even the 1 and 2 month old twins were interested in what was going on. I am glad that my posts bring you happiness.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
:hugs sorry bay, if your going to breed animals your going to have losses.:hugs One of the things my mentor told me was never try and save a puppy mother rejects. I thought that very cold twice did not listen and bottle feed rejected puppies. Both puppies had to be put to sleep because of serious medical problems by 6 months old. Not sure how but mothers knew.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yeah, plus sometimes new Mom's don't know. our one and only litter from one dog was 13 puppies, she sat on the first one. all the rest lived including the runt. i have pictures from then with them all piling on me in the yard.

this time of the year i'd be so worried about the cold. but where you are Bay it's probably pretty nice by now. :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
:hugs sorry bay, if your going to breed animals your going to have losses.:hugs One of the things my mentor told me was never try and save a puppy mother rejects. I thought that very cold twice did not listen and bottle feed rejected puppies. Both puppies had to be put to sleep because of serious medical problems by 6 months old. Not sure how but mothers knew.
If you don't know dogs and cats, the RUNTS are NOT the rejected puppies or kittens. We have had several kitten litters and the "runts" caught up in size, at least Normal size. Our 6 yo male cat (JUST neutered, THANK you very much!!!) was the runt of His litter. His sons outweigh him, and one is Double his size and weight. Tomkins is just a small cat, but normal. Our dog, Pyg, was the runt of her litter, but at 8 weeks old, and finding a litter of puppies at the horse auction IN January, -5 degrees F, any rejected puppy would have died in those conditions.
The only deaths I have experienced are baby chickens and ironically, 3 adult roosters. The roosters got sick in the middle of the summer and none of the rest of the flock(s) --different flocks, different years --got sick. I kinda wonder if they may have been stung by insects. We didn't eat them, just to be sure.

Latest posts