Baymule's 3rd Lambing!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am amazed at the differences in dog breeds, kinda from a disinterested viewer perspective.

It's a little disturbing to visit the pet shop and see Dachshund puppies in with, say, Maltapoos. Don't get me wrong, I like Dachshunds. The neighbor at the big veggie garden has always had 1 or 2. I've been around since the most recent one showed up as a puppy. Give her a little time and she will be over to be pet. I can even pick her up and carry her out of harm's way.

But, tough little dogs! They just beat up on a puppy of the same size. Entirely in the spirit of play and even if the other is interested in playing, the Dachshund is just too rough!

Steve

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve they are the AKC number 1 dog that bites. People forget what a breed was designed to do. Dachshunds where breed in go into varmint holes and drag them out. This could be anything from fox to badger. You needed a fearless tough dog to do that. Most breeds other then toy where breed to do a job. A lot of the jobs where killing other animals.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
On farms where people grew their own food, any that was eaten by wildlife was food out of the families mouth. Dogs had to be both brave and powerful enough to protect the food. Small dogs would go after rats feeding on grain. large animals like raccoons and foxes need bigger stronger dogs.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug when I was sitting outside with the ewe, it was 28 degrees. Yesterday evening and all night it rained, thunder and lightening-we got 4 1/2" of rain. And it was cold. The sheep huddled under their 3 sided shelter that I bed with hay. The lambs snuggle down in it and stay warm.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
TOO TRUE!!! We had a Valentine's Day Ice storm about 25 years ago or so, and we lived in town BUT some people who lived in the rural areas had no power for 2 weeks. We are a magnet line for ice storms. I have 2 pairs of these, but mine are older and cheaper, but STILL work:
https://www.amazon.com/Yaktrax-Walk..._1?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=XZ6PTYRDHAGED87YE948
I store them in the metal cabinet at the bottom of my 5 1/2 basement steps (I Know, go figure on the 1/2 step) and that is my "mud room." I keep them there so that I can FIND THEM.
Speaking of Valentine's Day and ice storms, here is our prediction for this year from TWC:

Ice storm predicted for Valentines Day, 2018, #1.jpg
Ice storm predicted for Valentines Day, 2018, #2.jpg

To find us, draw a line from the fattest part of western Illinois and go 3/4 way to the border with Indiana. Can't miss us. LUCKILY, since we moved our office last September to a municipal building maintained by somebody else, I have a good stockpile of ice melt from several years ago.