Baymule's 500 Pound Boar!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
WOW :ep

He's a beauty. Stupid.. but why is he a 'red' wattle? I mean, black angus cattle are black... red angus are red... :\
His next few months are going to be such a treat for him.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh he’s red, he’s just a dark red. When we spray him with water (3 or 4 times a day) he has some small black spots. There was a newly weaned litter at his old home, they were bright red, some with spots, a couple with stripes that bespeak their primitive heritage.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Could be he's crossed back his line with a large black? A lot of folks are doing that with those two breeds.

So, same question as Miss Mary...will you cut him to give him time to get male hormones out of his meat prior to butchering? I've heard that works pretty well to sweeten up a boar...they call that making a boar into a bar when they do it to wild hogs.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Could be he's crossed back his line with a large black? A lot of folks are doing that with those two breeds.

So, same question as Miss Mary...will you cut him to give him time to get male hormones out of his meat prior to butchering? I've heard that works pretty well to sweeten up a boar...they call that making a boar into a bar when they do it to wild hogs.

From the RWHA breed standard page:

http://www.redwattle.com/

Color: A shade of red from reddish golden yellow to almost black. Solid color. A limited number of small nickel sized dark or black skin patches acceptable. Objections: Any color other than red. NOTE: Horizontal stripes or spots of a darker color may be seen in newborns but should disappear within days or a few weeks.

Size: Large for age and condition. Averages: Boars 2 to 3 years and over: 700 to 800 lbs. Sows 2 to 3 years and over: 500 lbs. Piglets six months 230 to 250 lbs. These figures are based on animals in average or good condition.

I tend to think that Wilbur is pure Red Wattle. His size might even be a little light according to the standard.

No, not going to get him cut. We fed out a boar last year that turned out to be some delicious meat, so I'm willing to take the chance on this one. The people who owned him slaughtered his brother and said it was good meat. I did some extensive reading last year on the balls/no balls subject, and the conclusion was that if a boar is not around females in heat, the male hormone level goes way down. When there is a sow in heat, the boars give out a pheromone that entices the female and that contributes to boar taint. Plus a high roughage diet also helps to clean up the meat. So we'll see......can always spice up the sausage. LOL

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score

Ummm...I didn't ask that question. Didn't even know what you were talking about until I saw Bay's response. :hide Now I do. Love how TEG is educating me, haha.

Mary

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ummm...I didn't ask that question. Didn't even know what you were talking about until I say Bay's response. :hide Now I do. Love how TEG is educating me, haha.

Mary

i get educated about all this animal stuff too here... it would be a real bugger to figure out how to cut hermaphroditic worms if i ever had to finish them... but i have heard of people feeding worms corn meal to clean them out before cooking them. i much prefer to just put them in the gardens. my lil buddies... :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

Latest posts