BBQ thread...

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Figured I would share another passion I have. Since there were a few BBQ pics in another thread, I figured I would make a few people hungry...

First, let's start out with some bacon wrapped walleye:

walleye3.jpg

Then a red raspberry glazed smoked pork butt:

pork4.jpg

Add in a piece of cornbread:

cornbread1.jpg

Some good beans and ham:

beans.jpg

For desert we could have dutch oven blueberry cobbler:

cobbler4.jpg

Or maybe some grilled peaches and homemade ice cream:

peachesstarted.jpg

finishedpeaches.jpg

Anyone else out there BBQ?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Monty that was so unfair! I know some people BBQ in every season, but I'm a fair weather griller, I want sunshine and green grass to surround me when I'm cooking. So, it will be awhile.

Everything looks so tasty! Do you have a good recipe for dutch oven beans? I'm a green beginner with the DO, but I've made some pretty good desserts. My beans were ok, but pretty boring.

eta...do you cook your cornbread on the grill? I make some really good cornbread with the Painted Mtn. corn I grow, it would be even better if I could cook it in the Weber.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here are a couple of pics of me and my best buddy Fred on his birthday a few years ago. He mentioned how he hated his birthday being in January and nobody wanting to cook out and party. Hey, 'nuff said. It has become a tradition now. We cooked out again last weekend for his birthday. He chooses the menu and I cook. These pics are coal grilled rotisserie pork butt. This year we did hobo dinners.

084.jpg

comfort1.jpg

How about some grill baked bread in February?
bread2.jpg

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, I cook cornbread on the grill. I don't know if I have any pics of that though. I do have a couple of dutch oven bean recipes. They vary so much in flavor I really need to know what your looking for. I use my dutch oven a LOT! In total I have 5 grills, 2 smokers, and a dutch oven pit. Every spring Lowes sells 2x20 lb bags of Kingsford for $10. I usually buy $150 worth which is 600 pounds. I am down to 100 pounds plus a little in the bag in the house. I'll probably run out before it goes on sale again. I do have some cherry wood that I also cook with so it helps reduce the charcoal usage.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Monty, I'll take some of that pork butt, blueberry cobbler, and a piece of cornbread and thank you very much. Didn't know what walleye was so I might have asked for some of that. Is it fish?

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Monty! I'd guess you're a little serious about it then eh? I like steak house style beans. Meat or no meat in them, doesn't matter, but mine just didn't turn out savory. I started with dry beans, as that's how I always do them on the stove. I only tried them once, it was so disappointing I stuck with DO desserts after that.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hay Monty, maybe next year you'll have barbecued cutshort beans and bacon; A dutch oven made mess of Chile made from some gourmet dried beans you grew, spiced up with Peppers you grew, and a base of tomato stew from your tomatoes...

mmmmmmmmmm and i seriously want some of that homemade ice cream...growing your own blackberries for it???

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Monty, I'll take some of that pork butt, blueberry cobbler, and a piece of cornbread and thank you very much. Didn't know what walleye was so I might have asked for some of that. Is it fish?

Mary
Yep, walleye is fish. In my avatar you can see my youngest daughter holding her first ever walleye during our last trip to Lake Erie. I also do bacon wrapped scallops, cheese-stuffed, bacon-wrapped jalapenos among other things.

Thistle: I don't know what "steak house style" beans are. I would imagine a bit tart and spicy? I'm sure I could come up with something there.

Kate: Grilled fruit is really great! Those peaches were skewered on whole cinnamon sticks with sprigs of mint...really goooood!

Marshall: If I am lucky enough to receive some of the dry beans this spring when they come available, then am able to grow them to seed for replanting so I have enough, I would love to make some DO chili. I grow plenty of peppers and tomatoes. In fact your post reminds me to add poblanos to my seed list.
I don't have to grow my own blackberries, they grow wild on my property and are delicious! The blueberries are store bought. I want to plant blueberries, but I can't do it until the house is finished because they are going in the front yard. I do grow my own peaches for peach cobbler though. Homemade ice cream is the only way to go! I do it the hard way, with a custard base and lots of eggs! My favorite ice cream custard base calls for 18 eggs (yolks of course) per gallon of ice cream. Meringue anyone?

Latest posts