BBQ thread...

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh my Lanta! You boys have got me so hungry I can't stand it! I probably won't bust out my smoker or grill until....May? Depending on how long MN winter lasts. I would like to say I am the Queen of the grill but compared to you two i'm not even close! I have mastered chicken, okay with pork butts, and do a wide array of burgers on the grill but I'm still having issues with doing whole cuts of beef. And I have a plethora of pepper and veggie dishes for the grill that are pretty tasty. I can't wait to see what this thread turns into when warmer weather hits! I will be asking lots of questions for sure :cool:

*ETA: I NEED THAT WALLEYE RECIPE!!!! I have so many bags of 'eye in the freezer from ice fishing that I have to use up. It's been a fantastic year on Lake of the Woods for 'eye!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow! Way too close to lunchtime to be looking at those pictures! Now my stomach is really growling...

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a rhubarb plant that I'm trying to kill Steve. It's a white rhubarb and is always very sour. I'm going to replace it with a red one. Anyway, I'll scare up the red raspberry sauce for you. I'm on the wifes laptop right now. I also have a pretty good blackberry/habanero sauce. It's not nearly as hot as you would think.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Red raspberry bbq glaze/sauce:

1 Cup Ketchup
2C Red Raspberries (Seedless preferably)
1/2 Cup Water
1/3 Cup Cider Vinegar
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Dark Molasses
1 Tbsp Onion Powder
1/2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
2 Tsp Mustard Powder

Mash raspberries into water, simmer about 20minutes or until juice is released from berries, strain juice
Pour juice and all other ingredients into sauce pan, bring to a simmer over medium low heat stirring often. Make sure to break up the sugar lumps.
Allow it to cool. You can re-warm it just before mopping it on. If youre smoking, mop it on during the last hour or so to make a glaze. You can use it as a bbq sauce too.

Bacon wrapped walleye:
Cut walleye into chuncks, wrap in bacon, sprinkle with cajun seasonings or old bay or whatever you like. Grill until done. It is awesome!

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Blackberry Habanero sauce:

This one you will have to tweak to your personal taste. You can pretty much do anything you want to it without screwing it up too bad. It tends to run a bit sweet/hot, but it's pretty good.

Habanero-blackberry sauce

2-4 ripe habanero peppers (depending on your taste)
2 cups blackberries
cup white sugar
cup light brown sugar
1Tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 cup ketchup
cup water
cup lemon juice
cup white vinegar
1Tbsp Ancho chili pepper

Dice the peppers or chop in blender. Mash blackberries in cup water, add peppers and simmer 20 minutes. Strain.
Mix juice with all other ingredients and return to a simmer over medium low heat until the sauce begins to thicken (about 20 minutes).
If you want to reduce the sugar, do so by removing the white sugar first.
You can also add more vinegar if you like, it all depends on your personal preferances.
Remember, the more peppers you use the hotter it will get. I typically use 3 and find that most people can eat it without complaining about the heat. Also, chopping the peppers in the blender will make the sauce a bit hotter as well.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Brisket anyone?

SANY3090.jpg

SANY3092.jpg

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The two smokers:

brisk3.jpg

Dutch oven in action:

cobbler1.jpg

Bacon wrapped sweet italian sausage stuffed with marconi peppers and provolone cheese:

slicedpepperfatty.jpg

Couple of racks:

ribsonuds.jpg

finishedribs.jpg

Latest posts