Beautiful weekend out side *Updated 6/08/11* with question

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nice, Hangin! I'm still in the imagining stage, as the few things in the ground are still small. My peas are just starting to climb and yours are done! :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Everything looks great Hangin'! You should be so proud. Like you, my garlic is almost ready. I'm so excited!

My brussels are being munched on too. I found some little green caterpillars on mine, and realized the cabbage moths found my plants. I squished all I could squish and new growth started up again. However, with the warm weather, I don't think I'm going to see any brussel sprouts from my spring planting. Oh well!

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem,
The way I understand it is you plant them now, they grow a bit and then go dormant during the hot months. Then start back up in fall and you harvest after the first frost.

I planted some last year in September and they never did anything. So I hope I read right to plant in the Spring for Fall harvest. I'm going to dust mine, :/ and I'm not proud of that.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
hangin'witthepeeps said:
vfem,
The way I understand it is you plant them now, they grow a bit and then go dormant during the hot months. Then start back up in fall and you harvest after the first frost.

I planted some last year in September and they never did anything. So I hope I read right to plant in the Spring for Fall harvest. I'm going to dust mine, :/ and I'm not proud of that.
I'm going to try to dust with DE I suppose. That way I don't feel guilty... if they fail, oh well. I'm not a brussel sprout fan anyways, these were being grow to give to a friend who likes them. :sick

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hangin'witthepeeps said:
vfem,
You mean the brussels sprouts? Oops. I just ripped mine out because they weren't doing anything this spring and decided I'd try again in the fall.

I'm not sure I *like* brussels sprouts enough to give up the space for the entire growing year!

-Wendy

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
The brussels sprouts you get in the grocery store, in no way compare with those that come out of the garden. Try a couple plants, just so you can try them. I think you will notice the difference!

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Guess what I found this morning...

6832_garden2_012.jpg

I was so happy, until I figured out that there are no male flowers open to pollinate my little beauty. I tried to open one myself, but the stamen was all squished up inside the flower with very little pollen. It looked like wadded up spaghetti. :(

I also planted a strawberry bed yesterday.

6832_garden2_013.jpg

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I also saw a squash vine borer "moth" fluttering around my zucchini plant. I just don't know what to do. I will split the vines if I see the yucky stuff and kill the borers, but I guess there's not much else I can do. Poor zucchini. :(

Latest posts