Beautiful weekend out side *Updated 6/08/11* with question

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Updated garden pictures. We've been eating some cucumbers and sweet banana peppers every night. They cayanne and jalapenos are doing fabulous and I have several small bell peppers growing. I just thought I would give ya'll a pictorial update.

6832_garden3_001.jpg

6832_garden3_003.jpg

6832_garden3_007.jpg

6832_garden3_008.jpg

Sad looking zucchini plant. It's infested with squash bugs.
6832_garden3_002.jpg

Harvested garlic, not bad for a first try.
6832_garden3_004.jpg

Picture of my topsy turvey tomato. It's a Juliet Grape (looks more like a roma) and it's doing good. Much better than the failed upside down bucket of last year. Below is the garlic bed where I harvested the garlic. I added some compost and turned it up and planted two of my brussel sprout plants that were eaten down to nubs but are now putting on new leaves. They are an experiment and I'm just not ready to give up on them.
6832_garden3_006.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looking good! Gotta love progress! You will really enjoy that garlic harvest- I am still eating mine stored from last season!

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
New pictures.

You might notice my zucchini in the white drum missing. I pulled it outside the garden, you can see some of it's foliage beyond the garden gate under one of the topsy turveys. It was infested with squash bugs.
6832_garden3_011.jpg

6832_garden3_010.jpg

You can see the new drip irrigation we installed over the weekend. The bottom pot is supposed to be a Tautume Squash (mexican zucchini), which is supposed to be resistant to the squash bugs. It looks more like a watermelon to me? (sad zucchini in upper right corner)
6832_garden3_013.jpg

Strawberry bed.
6832_garden3_012.jpg

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The one thing I'm most proud of

6832_garden3_009.jpg

My zucchini. I found out that they really do much better in the ground. They are more healthy and are not infested with squash bugs. You can see in my earlier posts about the zucchini in the white 55 gallon drum (sawed in half). It started out beautiful but soon succumbed to the squash bugs. In one picture you can see where I slid it out the garden in the yard and let my chickens have at it.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hmmmmm, now I'm rethinking my decision to put zukes and cukes in the top of my upside down tomato planters, after looking at the pics of your potted ones vs. in the ground, hangin'withthepeeps. I guess I'll find out soon, the zukes are putting on fruit now. Cukes looking a little sad since it's been COLD.

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You might also notice there is no downy mildew. This was a big problem last year. Soaker hose and drip irrigation is the way to go for cucumbers and zucchini's (squashes). Keep the foliage dry.

I'm a learning guys, slowly but surely. ;)

Latest posts