Bee decline linked to falling biodiversity

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I want to put a couple of beehives in my garden but have been frustrated because I can't find a source for the bees. I can find everything else, but no bees. At this point I'm tempted to put out a hive just to see what happens.

I'm planting wildflowers and lots of other flowers that are heavy on pollen, maybe that will entice the little critters.

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would think that putting out the hive first would be the best idea rather than bringing in strangers. The wild stock I would think would be stronger. You take a chance at getting diseased or weakened bees the other way. Also these bees would not be as familiar with the area. But then I am not an expert. :/

Because we do not see them doesn't mean they are not there. Last year I only saw one or two and now they are all over the place. We tolerate each very well. :ya

Ah ...... to have money to burn. Here is a great bee hive I have coveted in passing.

http://www.omlet.co.uk/products_services/products_services.php?view=Bees

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I started keeping bees last spring- it has been a fascinating experience so far...I have also purchased a mason bee house. These bees do not store honey, but are great for the garden. I'll let you know how that goes. The mason bees find the house by themselves-we'll see. If you want bees check around and see if you have a beekeeping club. The members can be very helpful and some of them have bees to sell. Think spring!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just got a started hive last fall from an elderly gentleman going out of the bee business.

I have read in one of my books that if you put out an empty hive that has had bees living in it previously that it is possible to have a swarm move in because they are attracted to the scent. I have also heard of using lemongrass oil as an attractant too. They swarm around May here in my area, so have it set up prior to that.

There's lots of beekeepers on this forum, so I'm sure they'll be able to weigh in with much more experience.

I found out this morning that my county beekeepers association is not holding "bee school" this year (low attendance in the past). I am so bummed out because I was definitely going to go. :(

ETA: Good article too. I like that they have research data behind it, not just speculation.

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We were told to get mason bees for pollination. Supposedly they are as prone to sting. We have heard you can make little wooden houses for them as they supposedly live in holes not hives. I haven't really looked into it though, just thought I'd mention it for those who are interested.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My back yard is bee central. I have japanese spirea bushes and they LOVE them. I counted 7 different types one time. They ranged from big huge bumble bees to cute little tiny silver bees.

I need to put up a hive and see if I can convince some to stay and make me some honey :D

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ok, I was never ever going to confess this to anybody but...I talk to the bees. :/

Ok, so now you can throw a net over me. :throw But cracky, I talk to everything in yard. I cant help it. Its the fault of the chickens. They are always behind me babbling about something and if I dont answer them, I get pecked. :sick

As for the bees, every night when I go to cover the plants they are right there and I feel compelled to ask for permission. So far, they seem OK with it. :bee

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ladyhawke1 said:
Ok, I was never ever going to confess this to anybody but...I talk to the bees. :/

Ok, so now you can throw a net over me. :throw But cracky, I talk to everything in yard. I cant help it. Its the fault of the chickens. They are always behind me babbling about something and if I dont answer them, I get pecked. :sick

As for the bees, every night when I go to cover the plants they are right there and I feel compelled to ask for permission. So far, they seem OK with it. :bee
Hey, at least they are animate. I talk to my plants.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ok, I was never ever going to confess this to anybody but...I talk to the bees. hmm

Ok, so now you can throw a net over me.
LOL

I DO TOO!

"Hello Ladies! How are you doing this fine day? I am so glad you like the Japanese Spirea!"

:lol:

Latest posts