Bee decline linked to falling biodiversity

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
nittygrittydirtdigger said:
I want to put a couple of beehives in my garden but have been frustrated because I can't find a source for the bees. I can find everything else, but no bees. At this point I'm tempted to put out a hive just to see what happens.

I'm planting wildflowers and lots of other flowers that are heavy on pollen, maybe that will entice the little critters.
Where are you located?

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm in SE Washington.

If I don't find any bees, I'm going to go ahead and place a hive in the far corner of the garden. I'll be planting lots of marigolds, sunflowers, zinnias, dill, fennel, etc, so hope to attract them one way or the other. I have a little water feature planned for them, too. I hope they come calling.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ladyhawke1 said:
I would think that putting out the hive first would be the best idea rather than bringing in strangers. The wild stock I would think would be stronger. You take a chance at getting diseased or weakened bees the other way. Also these bees would not be as familiar with the area. But then I am not an expert. :/
Expert advice though! ... It makes sense.
With the bee problems in so many areas I would certainly be inclined to do some research before relocating bees.

Great article... thanks for the update!

I have seen no bee shortage in my little corner of the world. We seem to have more ground bumble bees lately. I checked the U of M site last year and I guess we have several types that prefer the ground. They are small and not aggressive. I can work near their hole and they don't seem to mind... I just leave them their patch of weeds and they stay and work for me.... :)

I'll admit, we don't chat often... but I did ask them to please not sting me! ... :bee

Plant flowers ... LOTSA flowers! ...:throw

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My neighbors have a hive and in the spring the hive swarmed and ended up in a tree in our yard. We had to move them all back to the hive in their yard. It was an amazing sight!

However, I do not want to do bees. I just enjoy the benefits of having them right next door. :)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
Lavender2 said:
Plant flowers ... LOTSA flowers! ...:throw
That's right--do YOUR part to keep up the bee population!!
And if you must spray anything make sure you do it late in the day after the bees have gone to bed. :old

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Plant some bee balm and borage..... :bee They say that the bee balm attracts bees when they swarm.

You could also register with your local extension office so they can call you if someone needs a swarm removed from their property. This is what I am doing this year. Also building my hives, rubbing them down inside with beeswax and lemongrass EO, in hopes of attracting swarms also.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
You can also replace that grass lawn with white clover. Not a good idea if you have little kids running barefoot through the grass all the time though.
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/cloverlawn
Or you could just let the clover take over - I never planted a lawn out back, it's a weedy, crab-grassy mess, some would say, but the bees love it. The white clover is winning, evengually that's all that will be out there, I think - oh, and dandelions.

Latest posts