Been on BYC today?

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We need to stop talking about how miserable the new system is. This is not a free speech format. They do not want to hear how horrible it is. Yesterday, they locked the threads where people were discussing how awful it is. I suspect this thread soon will also be locked because they don't wanna hear it.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i suppose this give them some feedback. maybe there were just too many threads that had been opened on the same subject and they were trying to limit them to one or two.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We know the change has issues, but when BYC changed 5 years ago to what it was, there were the same issues. As far as complaining... there were so many of them, it was overwhelming. Staff there like here are free volunteers. Some of them are retired, but most have 9-5 jobs and with so many members and threads so not like we can spend time there as 24/7 support. We have heard how awful the system is time and time again, after a while, it is rather much for something that we could not avoid...

We tried to keep the complaining to just a few threads so the mob of hate messages could be managed. It's the users choice to visit or not. If it's so bad, it's always an option to not visit or log in.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
silkiechicken said:
We know the change has issues, but when BYC changed 5 years ago to what it was, there were the same issues. As far as complaining... there were so many of them, it was overwhelming. Staff there like here are free volunteers. Some of them are retired, but most have 9-5 jobs and with so many members and threads so not like we can spend time there as 24/7 support. We have heard how awful the system is time and time again, after a while, it is rather much for something that we could not avoid...

We tried to keep the complaining to just a few threads so the mob of hate messages could be managed. It's the users choice to visit or not. If it's so bad, it's always an option to not visit or log in.
That is true we do have the choice, BUT as it was said more than one time there was way to many bug in the system to be put out yet.

But all is good, and with a good ad blocker like AdBlock we can eliminate all the new add-on's that really made it a overly cluttered and very slow site.
Extras like the "Recent Reviewed" bar, "Recent Discussion, Reviews, and Articles" bar at the bottom of the page, the BYC Chicken at the top Left Hand side of the page, the Blue Header Bar at the top of the page and the "Current Viewing" bar all can be removed with a good ad blocker.

Chris

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
. . . when BYC changed 5 years ago to what it was . . .
Some of us have been around for nearly all of those 5 years and some - I should count myself amongst them - are like the wait staff at the village diner. For a long time, we have been saying "Cowboy with Spurs" and knowing that it would be understood as a "Denver Omelet with French Fries." We are at a little bit of a loss when the diner goes Greek.

These forums are an important part of my life . . . :cool:. I really appreciate and am thankful for the forums and understand why many others feel strongly for them, as well. I take no offense whatsoever at any modernizing efforts.

The blaze of tropic suns was in his face, and in his swelling, resilient muscles was the primordial vigor of life. ~ Jack London ;)

Gyros are okay with me, too.

Steve

edited to say: my plan? spend more time on BYC over the near future so as to familiarize myself as soon as possible :).

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is true the new system still has lots of bugs in it that were not found out in the past 5 months of testing. Testing even included an assortment of regular members allowed to play in it pre-release with the goal of finding issues out. The side bar is a common issue and on the huge list of things to check out/work out with the huddler people.

Thought this thread from another mod was good to put things into perspective:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/618927/a-byc-change-over-reality-all-need-to-read/0_100

Personally, from the perspective of a member, not a mod... I run ad blocks and lots of other script stopping stuff so some of the issues that are common, I just don't see myself.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My opinion on the issue is that if the whiners and crybabies don't like it they can go away. The forums would be a better place if they did. What don't they understand about this being a free service? But then this is the (hope and change) welfare state these days and the recipients of the free things think they should run the show.

If it's too hot in the kitchen, get out.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Smiles said:
My opinion on the issue is that if the whiners and crybabies don't like it they can go away. The forums would be a better place if they did. What don't they understand about this being a free service? But then this is the (hope and change) welfare state these days and the recipients of the free things think they should run the show.

If it's too hot in the kitchen, get out.
Dont WORRY a good percentage of the good breeders, poultry judges, and genetic experts are gone.
BYC isn't the only FREE poultry forum on the net, there are a bunch of others.

Chris

Latest posts