Been on BYC today?

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm sure the new BYC will take some getting used. But I agree their wasn't anything wrong with the old set-up, then again their was a need for more space with so many members. I didn't get a chance to navigate the new BYC yet but there's new features available that the old one didn't have.

Anyone thinking we should get a new set-up for here? I say lets leave this forum as is, like the saying goes "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fix it or otherwise, I will still try to be around :).

"Outdated?" I could show outdated . . . okay, don't go looking at my corn chips!

Anyway, another garden forum, I won't mention any names (just look at it and whistle ♪ ♫ G ♪ ♪ ♫ W) hasn't changed how members can use it since iVillage bought it nearly 10 years ago! It was and remains clunky!

The only thing that has moved to high tech is the advertising! iVillage is a part of NBCUniversal! Which in turn is owned by, General Electric & Comcast! By contrast to the corporate playaz, Nifty's miles ahead :cool:!

. . . just my 2

Steve :)

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I must admit that I almost never go there (it's been 6 months or more) but I just spent about 30 minutes over there and I don't know what all the fuss is about. It's simply a fresh new look with all the old stuff there as it used to be. The owners and mods need to update their software from time to time to make use of the "new and improved" features that make life easier for them. I would imagine that the "new and improved" features are mostly advertising gimmicks and tricks to increase revenue. For website owners it's hard to keep smiling when all the cash is flowing in the wrong direction.

For me, it's not a big change.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well after blocking over half the new stuff they put on there it runs a lot faster, not as dizzy and looks better also.
Now if I could just get rid of the Smurf Blue color. :lol:

Chris

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's not so much for me that I don't like the format, but the new setup slows down my system & causes me to get a Norton warning that system resources are being utilized by the site. It runs a lot of background scripts to give functionality to the new features, but it froze my computer up 3 times the first day. I do ok on there as long as I Have NO OTHER FUNCTIONS or windows open on my computer. NO other browser windows, no new tabs, no nothing, and it takes my system anywhere from 15 to 30 seconds to go from page 1 to page 2... it's taking FOREVER for it to open. When I expressed my disappointment, as did others, they got all butt hurt and locked the thread.

If they didn't want to know what people thought of the system, they shouldn't have started a thread titled, "What do you think of the new system?" with a survey poll. Only 21% of the users loved it, another 20% "liked" it, and the rest either half liked/half hated it or just plain hated it (the "I hate it" poll was up to over 41% at one point yesterday).

It's not the change that bothers me... I'm cool with change. What I'm not cool with is that people who live in remote areas (as many chickenkeepers do) and have slow internet connections on dial-up or satellite, or anyone with an older system or older browser they cannot upgrade, etc., will not be able to spend as much time on there as we used to. When we expressed that, we were called "mean" and "ungrateful", when that was not the case at all.

We better be careful on here, or else they'll lock this thread, too. They don't want bad news.

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:bouquet
I agree with grow_my_own. Not only is the new site a resource hog, but it wasn't that many years ago that I couldn't get service faster than dial up even though I'm only a few miles out of town. Certainly, some of the new features are nice, however I can't help but pity the poor folks who don't have the latest and greatest. I've only had a few and thankfully not major problems with it, but apparently others have. One of the testers reported getting so frustrated with it that they had to walk away more than once. That should have been the first hint that rethinking all the bells and whistles was a valid idea.

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I spent maybe 60 seconds there today. DO NOT LIKE. I'm bummed. Will have to wait for a good day when my eyes focus decently and the computer geek is home to see if it can be "fixed" back to my liking. My brain just went bonkers on it.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
yeah, the slowness was what got me and i have DSL. i think some of the layout is nice but there is a lot of stuff that bogs down my system. and i use Firefox on my PC and i have it set to cut out a lot of ads and anything that tries to run in the background without me knowing. i'm still looking for the PM or email buttons under each person's name. i can't get my smilies that i used from another website to work properly.

i wonder if they might be finding more issues with certain browsers trying to rip apart their coding like Firefox does with my work's online database program. we can only use Google's Chrome on PCs and Safari on the Mac's. every browser has it's own issues with how it reads online content.

Latest posts