Bees, wonderful bees!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday, we processed our honey. There is just nothing cooler! Talk about amazing creatures. If you can possibly have a hive in your yard- I really recommend it. My garden is a huge success and I attribute much of it to the bees. The honey tastes so incredible, it is hard to believe!
The thing that surprised me most about keeping bees, is how little you know they are there. I was imagining that they would be flying all over the place, bothering people, etc. Unless you go looking for them, you would never know they were there. Second year and still no stings...

hypnofrogstevie

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Lesa, I been wanting bees since I was 9 years old. The wife is scared of them and I been trying to change her mind. She stills says no. Once we get bigger property maybe I will be able to sneak a few honey bee boxes behind her back :D

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hypno, if you can get her to visit someone who has bees, I promise you she will be pleasantly surprised. I had a gardening friend who wanted to come over and see the bees. I took her out, and we were talking, looking at the garden- facing away from the hive. After a few minutes, I said "well, here are the bees". She was totally surprised. We had been standing within 10 feet of them, and she was unaware.
Dh wanted no part of the bees. He didn't want to get stung, etc. He is all about them now- and no stings!

hypnofrogstevie

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I will see if I can find a local hive. I got addicted when I was in elementary school and they had a bee keeper come in. He showed us all the equipment. Then he let us hold a piece of wax and we got to try a bit of honey. OMG was it good!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had a few hives as a youngster, not all that succesfully. I didn't know what I was doing.
I wish I could have a hive or two but I am in a very populated area and unfortunately there are too many people to whom a bee sting can be deadly.

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I got a hive a few weeks ago. I'm kind of scared of them, they're being more aggressive than I expected. We've only gotten a couple of stings, but they swarm around my face as soon as I get near the hive! I was going to get the honey before it got cold, but winter snuck up on us suddenly, and made the bees angrier, we have days that are warm, nights are all down into the 40s-30s (colder than usual for this time of year!) and then other days are cold and windy, I think they are confused since they have lived in comfortable, warm Las Vegas until now. So...I think I will leave them alone until spring!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ariel, I read your posts about your bees. I was sorry to hear they were so aggressive... I think you are smart to leave them be. We mess with our bees very little. They really don't need much human intervention- after all they have been doing what they are doing, forever!
If you never get honey from them I wouldn't feel too bad about that, either. I promise you that your gardens will be beautiful! The problem with the homemade hive idea, is that in order for you to get some of that honey, you are going to have to go right in and rip apart their home. They aren't going to take that sitting down! Let them do their thing for a few months and check them again in spring.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm still trying to hunt down a hive for my husband. He's been wanting to build one, but I wanted to save him all that work and gift one to him... then get a nuc in the spring.

Still no luck... no one wants to part with a hive these days! :p

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem, he is so talented with all that beautiful wood working- let him have at it! I would recommend building the hive boxes and purchasing the frames...They are very tedious to build (though not impossible...) Have you tried a "wanted" listing on Craigslist? I bet your bees would fly year round, with your beautiful weather...

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ariel301 said:
I got a hive a few weeks ago. I'm kind of scared of them, they're being more aggressive than I expected. We've only gotten a couple of stings, but they swarm around my face as soon as I get near the hive! I was going to get the honey before it got cold, but winter snuck up on us suddenly, and made the bees angrier, we have days that are warm, nights are all down into the 40s-30s (colder than usual for this time of year!) and then other days are cold and windy, I think they are confused since they have lived in comfortable, warm Las Vegas until now. So...I think I will leave them alone until spring!
Ariel is there a fragrance that you may be wearing and you are not aware of it. When I am in the yard, I try to be neutral. Some things just pi.. them off. :bee :bee :bee

Latest posts