Bees, wonderful bees!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, Hollywood- I don't want to be the cause of an argument, but maybe you could find out if there is a bee keeping class around you. Our cooperative extension offers one. You could meet beekeepers and learn all about it. It truly is fascinating stuff!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa said:
Dh wanted no part of the bees. He didn't want to get stung, etc. He is all about them now- and no stings!
That's how my hubby was too! When we went to get the bees, a few escaped out of holes in the mouse-chewed bottom board and came after us. He tossed everything and ran and locked himself in the truck...and locked me out there with the bees! I just stood in the driveway and 'bout pee'd myself laughing while I looked for his glasses.

Now we have full protective clothing he can wear and after a few times working the bees, he lost his fear and became ADDICTED! You can't help but fall in love with beekeeping once you try it. It's the most amazing and curious hobby. :D

Hypno, if there's hope for my dh, there's got to be hope for your dw!! :lol:

ETA: I think Lesa has a good idea there, Hollywood. Now, who knows what particular reasons your parents may have, but if you take the free beek class and learn all about them and get to work with someone else's bees hands-on, maybe they'll see how serious you are and rethink it.

hypnofrogstevie

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
journey11 said:
Hypno, if there's hope for my dh, there's got to be hope for your dw!! :lol:
Oh I hope so. Your story made me LOL so hard!!! I know I am going off topic here but...

You reminded me of a story a couple years ago with my mother and her b/f. We were at gatorland in FL and there was a bridge with a pond on the side filled with gators. one of them hissed at my moms b/f and he took off running halfway down the bridge screaming leaving us both behind laughing our butts off. Now mind you the lake was like 15 feet under the bridge.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hehe, yeah, you can think you're brave until you find yourself under surprise attack. My hubby found out he had more yellow stripes than a bee. ;)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lesa...I'm starting to get interested in bees. But with my preschoolers I'm afraid it might be a turn off for parents. I'm not really sure it would be safe for them.

I don't dare mention this to my family or friends. They already think I'm crazy having chickens in the city.

I'm starting to eye my neighbors yard. He just planted 6 fruit trees and that's all he really has. It would be a great place for some bees.

Do you think that would work? It's not too close to the children?
I figured I could maintain the hive and share some honey with him for the loan of his yard.

Just a thought
Mary

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lesa said:
vfem, he is so talented with all that beautiful wood working- let him have at it! I would recommend building the hive boxes and purchasing the frames...They are very tedious to build (though not impossible...) Have you tried a "wanted" listing on Craigslist? I bet your bees would fly year round, with your beautiful weather...
I'm on craigslist all the time. Most people have hives with bees that are ready to go for over $200. I don't have that kind of money right now. I figured we'd start small and grow by introducing our own hive.

My complicated husband wants to build a Warre Hive! :rolleyes:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey Mary, :frow Just about everybody should check into their local ordinances before getting bees. Some towns may have zoning laws against it. Also, your homeowner's insurance could have an issue with it and require additional liability insurance for the bees. Some beeks will get extra coverage just to be on the safe side. It's really not the bees themselves that cause the problems, but hapless (or reckless) humans that come to close.

There are places even in cities where people do keep bees though. The folks over at Backwards Beekeepers are city dwellers. I've heard of people keeping them on rooftops and in alley ways. They say city bees tend to be healthier and hardier than their country cousins because there is much more diversity of forage plants and no heavy pesticide use in the urban areas.

I have no restrictions where I am, but I still keep my hive inside of a fenced area to help keep the neighbor's kids or my young relatives from wandering into trouble.

Seems like when I was a kid we had enough sense not to bother my dad's bees. I don't remember having to learn the hard way! :p

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem, that warre hive looks interesting. The idea of adding boxes to the bootom seems strange to me. It was my understanding that bees naturally build up?? Basically, any hive is a couple open ended boxes- easy-peasy for your talented hubby!
Mary, the daycare issue is a touchy one... I think your idea of putting it in the neighbors yard is a better idea. The problem is, if a kid gets stung- your bees are going to get blamed. Whether it was a wasp, or bumble bee! Much as I love my bees, I don't think I would try to combine them with daycare (unless I had acres and acres of land). A fellow beekeeper that I know does not keep his bees on his property (he's in a crowded neighborhood). He puts his hives on others land- in exchange for honey. It works out great for him...

hiker125

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
LESA- Awesome news about your honey.

I am signed up for a bee keeping class in January in Indianapolis. They will help us assemble our hives and select our bees. I cannot WAIT!

What kind of bees do you have?

Latest posts