Bees, wonderful bees!!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If he has that kind of localized reaction he needs an epi pen. Imagine if he were to get stuck in the neck, or on the face and that area swelled up? And its very likely that his reaction to increase to a full blown anaphylactic reaction which can be deadly.

Getting an epi pen is as easy as getting a perscription for one and carrying it. So long as you know where it is also and have read on how to use it (they are as easy as jabbing it into your thigh) your safe.

Don't take this risk. Its nothing to joke about. I've treated enough of these reactions to know they can kill. Please go see your Dr before you get your bees and be sure to keep it current (not expired) because it only can take 1 sting to kill him. I'm a Paramedic, please follow through on this.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
See, he acts like I'm a big worrier... and I am! But with good cause!

We're getting the bees on April 1st, but the issue right now is his insurance for the doctor doesn't kick in until April 17th. (Unemployment for so long we never knew if insurance would ever happen!)

So I'm asking him to either hold off on picking up the bees for a couple of weeks to go get a dr (or even an urgent care) to get the prescription and then pick up the bees.

He's like a 5 year old who too excited to wait any longer to open up their birthday presents! 5 more minutes is toooooooooooo long!!!

LOL

:lol:

But I do take is seriously, and I am being very vigilant that its done like this. Thank you all!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Vfem..I had a child who had some bad food allergies and had to have the epi pen. I believe the parents had to pay around $100 out of their own pocket with the insurance paying the rest. They only are good for a year. This mom had to always have 3. One for me, one for her purse, and one in her husbands car!

Mary

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So exciting hearing all of you talk about your hives!

They really are a marvel. Our neighbors have 3 hives that all the farms benefit from. They really are amazing.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Vfem..I had a child who had some bad food allergies and had to have the epi pen. I believe the parents had to pay around $100 out of their own pocket with the insurance paying the rest. They only are good for a year. This mom had to always have 3. One for me, one for her purse, and one in her husbands car!

Mary
That doesn't make me feel so great!

However, in the insurance information packet it says "Allergy injections are covered 100% no deductable" So I HOPE that is included otherwise I have to use the basic prescription stuff.

Excuse my excitement, we've NEVER had insurance! :) We were close at the last job, and of course they laid everyone off instead of paying the insurance they promised. :rolleyes:

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That doesn't make me feel so great!

However, in the insurance information packet it says "Allergy injections are covered 100% no deductable" So I HOPE that is included otherwise I have to use the basic prescription stuff.
Then call the insurance company and find out if they cover epi pen pens and if so how much. If its less than 100% then call the pharmacy and find out how much they are and do the math. And if its less than 100% coverage then you better budget for one of them them if your going to keep bees. And if you use it, then you replace it. He needs to have an epi pen thats current if he's going to have a hive or hives. Its that simple. If he gets stung in the face or if he has an anaphylactic reaction he won't be able to take oral benedryl to have it disolve fast enough to be effective and thats IF he can swallow it. So don't fall for that argument. And remember its not if you get stung its when you get stung as all the other bee keeprs have said. This is no joke and if your going to keep bees he needs to take these precautions. He needs to have it on him if he's going out to work with the hive.

If I sound like I'm trying to scare you I am. Its very serious and steps can be easily taken to prevent this problem provided its followed through on it.

Excuse my excitement, we've NEVER had insurance! We were close at the last job, and of course they laid everyone off instead of paying the insurance they promised.
Good job on the insurance. I know that feeling I've been there too.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have to keep an epi-pen too. I was never allergic to stings before and had been stung numerous times by bees and wasps over the years when one particular wasp sting went into full blown hives for me last summer. A couple months prior, I had been stung on the cheek by a honeybee--nothing. But now that my body has reacted to that wasp and built up antibodies, even honeybees will cause a mild reaction for me.

Good news is that anaphylaxis is rare -- only 1-4% of people who are allergic to stings will have it. But repeated stings may possibly build up to worse reactions. It can come on within seconds, obstructing the airway. An epi-pen is your only hope and for some people it may take two injections! Allergy therapy is available to desensitize you to bee stings (involves repeated, controlled stings being applied by a doctor). I don't know what it would cost with insurance, but I'd love to go through it. I want to be able to handle my bees gloveless!

Another good reason for beekeepers to have an epi-pen is even if you are not personally allergic to them, you never know when a visitor to your property might be. It's just a good precaution to take.

I got stung by another wasp following my initial reaction and two more bees since. I've found if I immediately go inside and take 100 mg of liquid benadryl, I won't have a rash or anything (although I do end up with a stinkin' panic attack; I don't know why, but I have a hard time waiting it out to see if I will react or not.) I wouldn't count on this working for everybody, because everybody's chemistry is different. I keep the epi-pen close by just in case.

Invest in a good, full-body bee suit, wear bee gloves and make sure your hat and veil are on properly and you'll probably never get stung anyway. ((Word to the wise--when you remove honey and go back to the house, look around yourself carefully and on your suit for any bees with a vengence that may have followed you to the house. That's how I got stung on the cheek! If they can smell their honey on you, they will hunt you down looking for it. ;) ))

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
((Word to the wise--when you remove honey and go back to the house, look around yourself carefully and on your suit for any bees with a vengence that may have followed you to the house. That's how I got stung on the cheek! If they can smell their honey on you, they will hunt you down looking for it. wink ))
NOTED!

Right now we are starting using our neighbor's equipment. Hubby is thinking of going in 1/2 and 1/2 on an extractor in the fall. I said we'd see, I'd like to worry about getting a 2nd hive set up first.

He's completely agreed to the epi-pen and doctor visit. He knows its important and he's just been giving me a hard time the last week or so about it... just to give me a hard time! LOL

What a jerk! :p

Rozzie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am wanting a couple of hives of bees. I am allergic to wasp and yellow jackets, but have never reacted to honey bees, so I think I'd be safe. I "would" construct a cement pad to put under the hives and I "would" fence around them to keep the dogs from knocking the hives over. I have two large, rambunctious dogs...

My family throws a fit every time I mention getting bees. I want to do "top frame" bee hives. I saw an article about this in a magazine recently and it really looks a lot easier for me, especially since I cannot lift or do a lot of bending. I also have a friend who has kept bees for a long time who can help me learn to take care of them right.

Maybe I will do this in a couple of years. I can't take on more this year...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hehehehe... its almost done!!! He's started the roof, and the legs are cut. So just going to attach everything and drill the entry hole next week and we're ready! :p

14084_hive2.jpg

Latest posts