Beez pleezz

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have just spent most of the day trying to build my next hive. You would expect that it would go pretty quickly. I did.
6 hours later the my dog is cringing and so is the air!

I bought a couple of hive boxes last year and a new one this year....the old ones have had time to dry out and have shrunk but the new one hasnt...so they dont match up. I am trying to build another long hive so because I cant do the heavy lifting required for a standard langstroth hive.
No prob, just line up the tops so the frames will be all the same height. That went well til I started sorting out the floor of the hive.....grrr different heights!!!!!

6 hours later for what should have been a couple of hours, its getting cold and starting to get dark, but I am starting to see how to resolve all of this.

So, "tomorrow..I love you tomorrow, you're only a day away!"

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yep. Went back to it again today and redid alot of it so now it is level as well as the tops where the frames hang off. I reused some old treated slats to hold everything together. This is just wide enough for the polystyrene insulation I was given from work that will go between the hive body and the outer cover-painted treated ply, which I also just happen to have lying around. lol
I have some polystyrene insulation that came in the box with my new fridge that I got a few months back too. That has now been cut to size to go on the top of the hive, under the roof.

There is still alot to do but I decided to call it a day.

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Finally finished the next hive- just needs a lick o' paint and its ready to get bees.
I've built fences, woodsheds, retaining walls before but never a box for bees. This had to be the hardest of the lot!

Its now officially Spring here and things are starting to flower and I am now looking forward to splitting the hive...just need to wait a bit til I see drones in the hive.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finally finished the next hive- just needs a lick o' paint and its ready to get bees.
I've built fences, woodsheds, retaining walls before but never a box for bees. This had to be the hardest of the lot!

Its now officially Spring here and things are starting to flower and I am now looking forward to splitting the hive...just need to wait a bit til I see drones in the hive.

picture? :)

things are winding down here. last big tomato and cucumber harvest was Wednesday and temperatures are cooling off enough that i can get work done on harder projects.

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I miss having bees; tried my hand at beekeeping last year for the first time. Lost one of my hives in early fall to small hive beetle pressure. The other hive wouldn't break cluster to move to fresh food and starved to death in a late spring cold snap.

Turns out I am very allergic to bees; I promised my family I wouldn't get any more unless I can get immunotherapy to treat the allergy. Trying to get a referral to a good allergist to see if it is possible, now that the hospital bill from the last sting is paid off. Thank you for sharing....I will have to live vicariously through all of you!

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
P1000098.JPG