Bell Pepper Issues

dbjay417

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I caged it and build a mound around the bottom for stability, the rain and wind of the last two days made it imperative to take action without delay.

This is my first time growing large variety peppers. My lil hot peppers don't have these issues, so I'm operating on 1 part instinct 2 parts common sense. i can't wait to see what problems i will have with the cukes and the eggplants.

dbjay417

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've been curtailing new growth every few days since my last post. I now have 3 plainly visible fruit, 2 that still look like the flower has just fallen off, and one flower bud. i think i'm going to allow growth to resume as normal from this point forward.

the plant is much bigger than when i started, and i have packed dirt into a mound about 3 inches high around the stem.

I did remove the cage to pull some weeds and i decided to just leave it off, the plant didnt seem to be dependent on it. If the current rate of growth continues it shouldn't be but two weeks before i have a full sized bell pepper.

I'd like to add that i think the creation of this thread was a bit alarmist on my part. never having grown bell peppers before it threw me for a loop that such a little plant would start to develop such a large pepper, when my small pepper plants looked like little bushes before they flowered and gave their first tiny peppers.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If your weather is anything like ours has been it should really help harden it off even more! From rain to sun to rain from 40s to 80s... its been insane. My tomatoes are doing dramatically well though (just not my cherry tomatoes... but I have the rest of those still in the house so I have plenty to replace the few failures.)

Have you planted anything around them?

dbjay417

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
yeah, actually i planted my beefsteak tomatoes way too close to my bell peppers and each other. Vigorous trimming has made this a non issue, but they are right next to each other.

we dont get down into the 40s here, but we have been getting lots of wind and rain broken by a few hours of sun and clear skies. it has definitely sturdied up many of my plants.

Latest posts