Bell peppers lagging

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I planted jalepenos and bell peppers in the same area, which is across the garden from where I grew them last year. My results are frustratingly idientical to last year, with the hot peppers that DH must have flourishing and the bell peppers turning yellow, not growing, and losing their flowers as soon as they open. WHAT is going on!?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yellow leaves usually means not enough nitrogen... Some recommend epsom salts. Good luck!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I can testify that neither my jalapenos nor my bells are flourishing, Sparkles.

Both are yellow and just sitting there . . . in the cold . . . and the rain.

Last year, I was dismayed with their early progress, also. Sometime, about now, I gave them a little more fertilizer and hilled-up around them. Then, they took off! Of course, it also got warm . . .

Actually, this place doesn't have enuf warm weather early for peppers to do really well. I have better luck with smaller ones than larger, however. They probably will all end up small but, I mean, sweet banana peppers can produce so much we are throwing them away! The tiniest of the hot peppers (Thai Hots) seem to come up to their standards (which isn't very high ;)). I suppose this makes sense.

Anyway, Italian sweets are a real favorite. I grow some bells but I count on those Italians.

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Peppers like heat heat heat... and occasional dryness! Too much moisture and cool weather... and they just wither up and give up.

:(

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
Peppers like heat heat heat... and occasional dryness! Too much moisture and cool weather... and they just wither up and give up.

:(
Which is why the hot peppers freak me out, they seem to thrive in this almost tropical mositure we've had lately! I'll try another dose of epsoms, they seem to boost the 'maters more than the peppers

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well, last night I gave them all a generous sprinkle of epsome salts, and then a gentle rain came along to water it in for me. I hope they perk up!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's a good thing I planted more bell peppers than I thought I would need. The early planting was Cal Wonder.They are bearing but very sparsely. I planted some Yolo Wonder from seed as a backup but they still need quite a bit of time. They probably won't produce till late Summer.
I'm disapointed in my Jalapenos. I bought them from Home Depot this Spring and they were just labeled Jalapeno peppers. Turns out they are the ones without a bite so I' guess I'll have to use some Thai hot peppers to boost the heat in my chili.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cover your peppers and eggplant with row cover, and they'll take off for sure! Also, I pinch back the first fruiting on the top which forces the growth to the sides and makes more peppers.

Hooligan

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi! I'm new here and new to gardening (and chickens) so I've been lurking around here (and backyard chickens) but I just wanted to chime in and say that my peppers are looking really crumby too...I just don't get it. Everything else I have looks really good but my peppers are still so puny. It makes sense though if they like heat and relatively dry though...since it's been nothing but rainy here lately. Will they perk up once things dry out and heat up? It's so sad...I have one small plant with a teeny tiny little pepper and the other 20 or so are just plain old pathetic. Anyway, thanks for posting this thread...I think I'll give the Epsom Salt a try if the compost I just added around each plant doesn't help...

~Hooligan

Latest posts