Bermuda Grass Anyone?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Zoysia grass is another warm season grass like bermuda in it's heat preference. Won't work for you there.

If you can't find a fescue mix you like there is Buffalo grass which is very drought tolerant and will grow in your location. It would be a good low maintenance choice for a dog run. It doesn't green up until the weather warms and goes dormant sooner than other grasses though.

You can get Buffalo grass from Stock Seed Farm. They have a lot of grass varieties including native grasses and wildflower seeds.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Around here, Kentucky 31 Fescue is planted widely for field, and also for tough hardy lawns. It is a broader grass that tends to clump if not sown thickly. One of the newer fescues might work well. They are for cool weather, and are tough. They will brown out in a severe drought, but green back up with rain. Jaguar is one that I can think of. Used to be relatively expensive, but I don't think it is that bad anymore. I sold a lot of 50lb bags of it through the years!

TwoCrows

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks for all this help guys and gals! Buffalo grass USED to be a native grass around here until cattle grazing back in the late 1800's and early 1900's and it was nearly wiped out. Occasionally I will see a clump of it in some field where it has somehow survived.

Good idea @thistlebloom I think I am going to see if I can find Buffalo grass seed locally. There is a place up in Sante Fe that seeds heirloom seeds and they may carry Buffalo seed or know where I can get it.

Thank you ALL for the great help here!! :)

TwoCrows

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
@so lucky A guy at the garden center at the local Walmart suggested some sort of Kentucky grass. I thought maybe he was crazy, growing Kentucky grass out here, LOL, but maybe it is also worth looking into. Does it take a lot of water to maintain? This is my concern...after I get it started and established, can it tolerate periods of drought? We can get long stretches of no rain. I don't want to burn our well pump out on maintaining grass. It needs to be able to withstand some pretty dry periods and store water well.

Latest posts