best lawn tractor???

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Really don’t believe that it can’t be fixed.
My father in law (RIP) was a mechanical genius ... head mechanic supervisor for USMarine Base in Oceanside, Cal. After he retired, he would fix, repair, modify, rebuild and make new parts for any and all very old tractors that tractor mechanics have given up on for commercial flower growers, row crop farms as well as commercial chicken producers in San Diego and surrounding areas. :cool:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Difference in ages. Old things were designed to fix. New things designed to have parts replaced. If no replacement parts, junk and buy new.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Difference in ages. Old things were designed to fix. New things designed to have parts replaced. If no replacement parts, junk and buy new.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
If it not froze up it will run. You should be able to find parts for the motor for sure, parts for mowing deck and body may be tough to find though. I can still get motor parts for a 1947 David Bradley walk behind tractor. They changed name to craftsman in 1950s.
02FC5F2C-D406-4DED-AD13-B8315D8A5FCA.jpeg

This is the 47 David Bradley, runs great with the original motor.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Will have to get photos. My uncle who lived 4 houses away bought it new from SEARS. Uncle Tony had a large garden, every year I would help him with. he taught me a lot. When he died my aunt let it sit in garage for about 20 years. When she gave it to my dad it wouldn't start he had it completely redone, cost twice what a new one sold for. Dad used till this spring when would not start, Repairman told dad it was impossible to get parts for it. Thats when my dad offered to me.

that's repairman speak for "I don't want to deal with this." or if they are young enough "I don't know how to deal with this."

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
If it not froze up it will run. You should be able to find parts for the motor for sure, parts for mowing deck and body may be tough to find though. I can still get motor parts for a 1947 David Bradley walk behind tractor. They changed name to craftsman in 1950s.View attachment 26272

that's quite a tractor there... :)

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If it not froze up it will run. You should be able to find parts for the motor for sure, parts for mowing deck and body may be tough to find though. I can still get motor parts for a 1947 David Bradley walk behind tractor. They changed name to craftsman in 1950s.View attachment 26272

Can we fork this thread and talk about your table, fence and greenhouse? Nice looking equipment there :)

Latest posts