best lawn tractor???

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just saw ads for Bad Boy lawn tractors. They must be regional as I have never heard of them before. Pricey, sturdy looking equipment.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@catjac1975 , after 9+ years, are you in the market again?

Lately, we have had some of the strangest posts from new members. Some have just filled their message list with responding on the New Members' sub-forum. Others go back years and years! Links posted seem ..?

Makes me wander if notifying @Nifty and @Support would be a good idea.

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score

Lately, we have had some of the strangest posts from new members. Some have just filled their message list with responding on the New Members' sub-forum. Others go back years and years! Links posted seem ..?

Steve
No. Ours is still doing well, even thought my husband is rough on lawn mowers. The ads and the name were quite impressive/

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the pattern keeps getting repeated enough, new person shows up, says hello, posts a few times, doesn't say much really, then they start spamming and if you see that then do not reply to them or quote them but report them and that's the best thing you can do.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I try to say howdy to everyone when the introduce themselves, but I'm really reluctant to open any links they provide until I feel comfortable with them. Some of the ones with links just look like spam, those I report.

If they don't offer links I generally don't report them. I consider links to be dangerous if you open them. I don't see any harm in reading what they posted, just to get a feel for them.

The ones that make me stop and think are the ones that say they are thinking of buying or growing something and provide a link to it. That can be a legitimate thread or post on a gardening thread. But if it is an "I've used this and it is great" type of introductory post I'm not likely to open that link.

Steve, I see you alerted Nifty and Support. It will be interesting to see what guidance they give us.

Support

Deeply Rooted
Administrator
Reaction score

Steve
Good catch.

Has all the tall tale signs of being a spammer. The spam filter usually keeps post in suspension when a link has been added and it matches a certain word/phrase. But they do come through thou.

My advise is this, If you don't like the link address, Report it. We can always check and take action afterwards.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good catch.

Has all the tall tale signs of being a spammer. The spam filter usually keeps post in suspension when a link has been added and it matches a certain word/phrase. But they do come through thou.

My advise is this, If you don't like the link address, Report it. We can always check and take action afterwards.

i hate to be so suspicious and reactive but after years of seeing spam and how they can ruin a forum i'd rather catch them and remove them before other people respond instead of erring on the side of being a bit more gentle and hopeful. thanks! :)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
i hate to be so suspicious and reactive but after years of seeing spam and how they can ruin a forum i'd rather catch them and remove them before other people respond instead of erring on the side of being a bit more gentle and hopeful. thanks! :)
Am I not seeing spam because you the care of it? Or am I just oblivious?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Am I not seeing spam because you the care of it? Or am I just oblivious?
i'm not a moderator but i do report posts that are spam or from people who appear to be spammers. we get a few a week it seems. the moderators haven't told me to shut up about it so i think i'm doing ok. :)

a few are more persistent than others but they use a similar pattern, but i think the pattern is easy to spot. the key is that they don't want to put much time into it and they don't care to develop any kind of personal relationships with others. they show up, post links in text, don't really engage as a community member, no pictures, no real details about their gardens or life, what they actually garden.

most of them likely are not a native language speaker and are posting using a script or something that someone else has written for them and they are just embedding links into the text after scanning for a few key words or phrases.

ask them a question and you may never get a reply.