Best Tasting Tomato For Sandwich ?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Grilled tomato sandwich on a kaiser roll topped with cheese fresh out of the broiler! YUMMMMM!!!!! :drool
I probably have a slightly different approach than you. I put a little EVOO on the tomato along with some salt and pepper. When the tomato slice is half done I put on the cheese and finish toasting till the cheese starts to brown.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cherokee Purple is a standard in our garden, as is German Johnson. Last year, after the glowing posts about Mortgage Lifter, I planted some and got none. But then, I got none out of all my plantings. I am trying Mortgage Lifter again this year, here's hoping.

Nyboy, we refuse to eat a store bought red baseball that masquerades as a tomato. :sick Blech. We won't eat them in restaurants either. For our winter salads, I dehydrate sliced tomatoes and shred them in our salads. They are a flavor burst!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cherokee Purple is a standard in our garden, as is German Johnson. Last year, after the glowing posts about Mortgage Lifter, I planted some and got none. But then, I got none out of all my plantings. I am trying Mortgage Lifter again this year, here's hoping.

Nyboy, we refuse to eat a store bought red baseball that masquerades as a tomato. :sick Blech. We won't eat them in restaurants either. For our winter salads, I dehydrate sliced tomatoes and shred them in our salads. They are a flavor burst!
Mortgage lifter is a nice meaty tomato but it's slow developing. The biggest trouble is the huge vines. They can eat up half your garden if you let them.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
What???? You can't get fresh tomatoes 24/7/52 in the Deep South?
I did when I had my PVC frame redneck greenhouse. I have a greenhouse frame now, but have too many projects in front of it. So I might not have fresh tomatoes for winter.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Grilled tomato sandwich on a kaiser roll topped with cheese fresh out of the broiler! YUMMMMM!!!!! :drool

I like mine on homemade bread, cut thick and spread richly with Miracle Whip, fire butter, a huge slab of sweet onion, huge slab of mater, salt and pepper.

That's the one thing I wait for in my garden each year that lets me know that it's all worth while. After that it's sweet corn dripping in butter, salt and pepper.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can snap some pictures of the current seedlings!

They are out in the greenhouse probably appreciating the morning quiet after a day of hard winds and driving rain.

The Amy Sue are fine, healthy plants. Soon, they will need to be in individual pots, 18 to a flat.

Steve

Latest posts