Best way to cage tomatoes

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is my strategy for this year. I've still got some in cages, but so far this is going well. I'm actually using electric fence line run between poles in the ground. (not charged, of course) I'll add more rows of line as they grow to train them up. Pretty simple to check the plants every couple of days, and lift the vines over the line.
I've tried many things. The fence circles are nice and sturdy, but tough for me to harvest thru.
As you can see, I use raised beds. Went to those after being rained out two years ago. It paid off big last year. We had an extremely wet May, and nearly everyone's tomatoes in the area were drowned out. Ours came thru well, though.

You might also notice that I am using bio-char this year. Just learned of this process. There's lots of info out there, and lots of reasons for it. In a nutshell it is alleged to be both a growth stimulator and pest control tactic. Basically ground up old-style bulk charcoal (not briquets) mixed with compost. It may be just me, but I feel my plants have done well with it.
Hey @cscigu, Welcome to this crazy forum. We have discussed bio-char a little bit on here, I believe. It sounds like a good idea. I use ashes with some unburned wood in it. Don't know if it gets the same results.
What part of the country do you live in?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks @Ridgerunner for the cow panel idea. This is me planting them. I put up 3 cowpanels and sat in between them to plant the tomato plants. I used a machete to cut through the cardboard. They are blooming now, I can't wait to taste the first ripe tomato! My husband thinks I am a genius for using cow panels, I told him I got the idea from you, but he still thinks I'm brilliant. I guess I'll just shut up and let him keep thinking that! :gig

View attachment 13613

View attachment 13614

Bay, I'm looking at your spacing between cattle panels and am wondering how you'll prune and harvest your maters after they've gotten big? Won't be able to walk through there and can only reach one side through the fence, if that's the method, as the other row is sandwiched right up against the other side.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed I made it a double row, spacing is 18" in each row. So I can reach through on either side. At our old house, I gardened in beds 4' to 5' wide and it never was a problem.

Latest posts