Best Way to Enjoy Homegrown Celery?

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
kathyschix said:
Aw Pat, I used to live in Lancaster County before we moved to our current place! I know that celery place you speak of...although I'm blanking on the name at the moment. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I love me some celery with peanut butter!

Regards,

Kathy
Hodecker's in Manheim. Take Harrisburg Pike away from town, all the way out through Landisville & Salunga, just past 283. It will sort of dead-end on a smaller road, Esbenshade. Follow Esbenshade out a little bit, they're right there.

kathyschix

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
kathyschix said:
Aw Pat, I used to live in Lancaster County before we moved to our current place! I know that celery place you speak of...although I'm blanking on the name at the moment. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I love me some celery with peanut butter!

Regards,

Kathy
Hodecker's in Manheim. Take Harrisburg Pike away from town, all the way out through Landisville & Salunga, just past 283. It will sort of dead-end on a smaller road, Esbenshade. Follow Esbenshade out a little bit, they're right there.
Yep, that's it! :D

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
THANK YOU, HiDelight!!!! I just finished off our leftover enchiladas and they were very tasty! :drool I will be making those again!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found home grown celery to be much stronger in flavor than store bought. I use it in everything..It is so flavorful in soups, stir fry ect. Your post reminded me that I forgot to plant it this year. I have no luck with starting my own seedlings, though I start everything else. Seedlings are hard to come by here and I just forgot! Oh well-next year then.

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Can you gradually harvest celery? Like, take the bigger outside stalks first, and wait to harvest the smaller inner ones?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't say anything about it on this thread a few years ago but I have celeriac each year.

Strangely, I have never used the stalks. They don't look very appetizing - fibrous/stringy. Besides, I'm always apprehensive about the plants making good roots so I wouldn't take them young. Right now, as usual, the plants are small things - despite the seed having been sown way back in March and the seedlings set out in April!

It just seems that the celery root bides its time until doing the bulking up in September.

As with cauliflower, I have only "tried" to grow actual celery once - unsuccessfully. Celeriac hasn't failed me but I did get awfully small roots once by transplanting them where they got a lot of shade.

Steve

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks for bringing this thread back up. I planted celery this year on a whim - first time ever trying it. My seeds never sprouted the first try, but the second try I did good. All but one of my seedlings survived... I'm probably going to be overrun with celery. Nice to know some other things to do with it.

6992_celery.jpg

Latest posts