Beware-black widows like cardboard

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
vfem said:
I always seem to find them in my shoes in the wash room! I have to bang my sneakers on the wall before I put them on my feet. I've had at least 2 fall out of a shoe this year....

*SQUISH*
Flashback to Viet Nam. We always had to rapout and shake our boots before putting them on. You never saw as many creepy crawlers in one place as they have there.
At least we didn't have the camel spiders like out boys in Iraq do.
WARNING - Don't click this link if you creep out easily.
http://www.camelspiders.net/index.htm

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Oh, Journey, as far as identification of the black widow (if you have them), they are the only little roundbottom spider I've seen that's shiny pure jet black on top (no furriness). But you won't always see the giveaway red hourglass because that's on it's underside. They are beautiful. They are afraid of you and stay hidden a lot. My reading said you don't immediately feel the bite but have the effects later. That would explain my not seeing what bit me.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have a site where I sell craft beads. I keep my beads in large drawers and a black widow likes to hide in my gemstone drawer. I see her there every time I open it. She doesn't startle me any more since I expect to see her now.

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
I have a site where I sell craft beads. I keep my beads in large drawers and a black widow likes to hide in my gemstone drawer. I see her there every time I open it. She doesn't startle me any more since I expect to see her now.
There is nothing fine as a good detente. :/ :th

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hey, maybe folks will stop stealing our stuff if we put up "Danger -Bad Spiders" signs. Hoodat could add a new item to sell on his site : "Don't want to fool with a vault? Buy Hoodat's Guardian Spiders for your jewelry box. Don't want the real thing - let him sell you a replica of the varmint of your choice.

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Flashback to Viet Nam. We always had to rapout and shake our boots before putting them on. You never saw as many creepy crawlers in one place as they have there.
At least we didn't have the camel spiders like out boys in Iraq do.
WARNING - Don't click this link if you creep out easily.
http://www.camelspiders.net/index.htm
I've found two "wind or sun" spiders that are related to the giant camel spiders in Iraq in my house this summer. They look almost like a scorpion, but have no tail. Boy now they are a creepy looking spider. :ep

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
vfem said:
Ok, thanks for the heart attack with the pictures... going to cry in the corner now!! :hit
What's a good spider thead with out scary pictures? ;)

At least you didn't have those 2 crawling across YOUR bedroom floor :lol:

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Northernrose said:
vfem said:
Ok, thanks for the heart attack with the pictures... going to cry in the corner now!! :hit
What's a good spider thead with out scary pictures? ;)

At least you didn't have those 2 crawling across YOUR bedroom floor :lol:
Tune in tomorrow for a preview of our upcoming feature film, "The Spider that ate Chicago". :ep

newchickmom09

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have a black widow that loves one of our drain pipes from our gutters. I live in southern AZ so the gutters don't get used much. :rolleyes: Every year I kill one and there is always another one in a few months, so I think I get them after they lay there eggs.

I have a horror story. My 3 year old son wanted to put on his roller skates that had been sitting outside for a month or some since they skate on the back patio. We had been digging around our pond to make it bigger so there were spiders and scorpion everywhere since the pond was there haven. I put on my son's skates and off he goes. I was putting on some of that chainlink plastic strips for privacy, so I continue. About 10 minutes later my son comes walking outside to the back fence where I am at. I see him holding something. My vision isn't the best far away so it looks like he is holding a little stick. He gets about 15 feet from me and my eyes focus in and I see that little "stick" curl upward. :ep I jumped up and ran to my son and he was holding a scorpion by the end of the tail! Of course I screamed, yelled, and squished the heck out of the scorpion. I asked my son why was he holding that and he said he took it out of his roller skate! My son never got stung once the entire time and that scorpion was in his skate when I put it on him, the entire time he was skating (10 minutes), when he stuck his hand in there to see what was crawling on his foot, and when he carried it to me. Talk about a scare. :th Here we have the Arizona bark scorpions which are the most venomous in the US.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_bark_scorpion

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I knew there was something wonderful about zone 4! Too cold for most of the really icky creepy crawlers! No poisonous snakes either (unless you go mountain climbing high in the Adirondacks.) Hoodat, would love to see some pics of your beads...

Latest posts