Big Recipe Plan

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've been going through a lot lately, been busy, the family has taken up a lot of time and work of course. Now I want to sit down and put some time into a big plan I've been thinking on doing. You all know I have my jam and baking business, and I also offer classes though I haven't really gotten any interest as of lately. So now I want to put together a cook book to sell.

So my plan for it is 1/2 of my jam recipes and the other 1/2 is recipes that include 1 or more of the jams, jellies or preserve recipes offered. I was wondering how good of an idea it was, about how many recipes would be great for it and if anyone would pay for something like that. Not to mention how much?! This is a huge investment up front and its scary, but I think I have a good amount of original recipes for this to be unique!

Anyways, so my other question would be should I add any canning help stuff, or special information in addition to recipes? Like what would you expect to get out of a recipe book like this?

Thanks for any advice!

herbsherbsflowers

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
There is a recipe book kind of like this out there, called Well-Preserved, by Eugenia Bone. Of course you would have different recipes. She does also give lots of canning advice and talks about equipment and such. She also talks about freezing fruits and vegetables and smoking meat. I think there might be room for more than one of these types of cookbooks. You could do one with a particular focus. Take a look at hers and see if you htink you could appeal to a different demographic or even give them more of the same, but different.
Carol

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think what I was hoping that was different from other preserving books out there was I would have the section on recipes using what you've preserved. I have some slow cooker recipes using some of our jams or glazes. I also have a few recipes for deserts using preserved jams & fruit. Its kinda aimed to show you how to preserve and jam you goods, but then give you a bunch of different things to do with it so you don't have to have toast with jam every morning to use it all up. If that makes any sense?! :p

stepstephens2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I think this is an excellent idea! I think that gardening has just become a very popular trend these last couple of years... now that so many people have started doing it they will begin thinking about the next step and preserving what they grew. There really aren't that many books out there, and I have looked. I would suggest a chapter that covers the basics so that you can attract those that are new. Your idea to incorporate recipes on what to do with your preserves also sounds good... I have a book about raising chickens where the last chapter is just egg recipes. I think it makes a book charming!:thumbsup

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I began putting a digital copy of the book together today. I may just sell that for the time being as a PDF that is printable from home. I'll use money raised from that to get the real books printed. Even if I wanted 'cheap' versions of the book it will cost over $600 to have them done. $1000 if I want them hardcover and looking custom! :/

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I would love to support anyone on here by buying a recipe book. Let me know when it is available, I love shared knowledge... :)

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would also talk about what to do if you "off" measure for example Blackberries and use to much (guilty) and you don't get the jelly to set. How to correct it (I don't know if you can) or the fact that even if it doesn't thicken like you wanted, the jelly tastes just fine as a really thick syrup, lol.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hangin, did you try the "fix-it" recipe in the box of Sure Jel? I had pretty good luck with it....

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lesa said:
Hangin, did you try the "fix-it" recipe in the box of Sure Jel? I had pretty good luck with it....
You know what, I have an awesome fix it recipe I should add!!! Its better then the evil sure jell boxes version. ;)

When I did the pectin box suggestions, the fix was either too hard or too sweet... or both! I need to come share with all my buddies here the recipe I found that is a rule of thumb for any size batch recipe... its great, less sugar too! I shared on BYC, so I definitely should share with my TEG gang. :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here... I'll repost on a fresh thread too. This works everytime without fail for me!

HOW TO SAVE YOUR FAILED JAMS AND JELLY

Sometimes after you have bottled (canned) your jam or jelly and let it cool, you pick up a jar to check it or you open a jar, only to find it hasn't set properly and is "runny". If your jam or jelly turns out too soft or runny, don't despair, and don't throw it away! It can be fixed! Here's how!

If the jam is too thick: Before you put the jam/jelly in the jars, just heat 1 or 2 cups of UNsweetened grape juice (or any other fruit juice of similar or neutral taste, like apple or white grape) to boiling. Then, gradually add the juice and stir it in until you reach the desired consistency, then continue canning!

If the jars are already sealed / canned, then when you use them, just stir in a little grape juice until you reach the desired thickness.

If the jam turns out too loose or runny: This is a little different to fix. Here's how:

Step 1 -Determine how much jam or jelly needs to be remade

Measure the jam or jelly to be recooked. Work with no more than 4 to 6 cups at a time. Check all the jars from the batch - if one failed to set, most or all, probably failed. You can check by just turning them upside down and seeing how quickly the jam or jelly moves around in the jar.

Add up the volumes of all the jars to be reworked, to figure out the size of the batch (in quarts) for step 2.

1 qt = 32 oz = 2 pints = four 8oz jars = eight 4oz jars.

Open the jars to be fixed and return the fruit into a large pot.

Step 2 - Measure out additional pectin, water, sugar and lemon juice

If you are using powdered pectin:
For each quart of jam or jelly to be fixed, mix 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water, 2 tablespoons bottled lemon juice, and 4 teaspoons powdered pectin in a large pot.

If you are using liquid pectin:
For each quart of jelly, measure 3/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons bottled lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons liquid pectin in a large pot.

Step 3 - Bring to a boil

Bring the pectin mixture to a boil while stirring. Add the jam jelly and bring to a rolling boil again, over high heat, stirring constantly.

Once it is at a rolling boil, boil hard for 45 to 60 seconds (1 minute) -- NO LONGER!

Step 4 - Remove from heat, skim and fill the jars

Remove from heat, and quickly skim the foam off jam or jelly.
Fill sterile jars (automatic dishwashers often have a sterilize setting, otherwise, wash and dry and add 5 minutes to the processing time), leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust NEW lids (do NOT reuse the previous lids, they are single use).

Step 5 - Process in the water bath

Waterbath for the amount of time specified for the original recipe, and your altitude.

Lessons learned

If the jam was too runny, then next time you might want to add about 20% more pectin to start with, or make sure you bring to a full hard boil for 1 minute (not less, and not more than a few seconds longer).

If it was too thick, add a little less pectin, and/or a bit of fruit juice before you cook it!