Big Sky Country~Montana

MontanaMama

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
So you spent a lot of time in the part of the state that I don't know as much about:) Very beautiful there and lots of places that my husband and I are looking forward to traveling to when we 'retire' (if that ever happens!).
We live in north central Montana~about 60 miles north of Lewistown. We went to Bozeman as often as we could to watch our son's football games there. That was exciting...quite the following there in Bozeman for their beloved 'Cats!
Maybe you will make it back to Montana and can re-visit your old stomping grounds!!!

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
One day I'd love to go back. but it was like a bad breakup. Bozeman was a place we really wanted to stay. It was beautiful and a great place to raise children. But there was no jobs. Too many kids graduating and being ski bums. All the undergraduate and graduate students try to stay. So no jobs. I was going to work for two government offices in Helena but they money wasn't near what I was offered in other parts of the country. so we bought a house and moved to Louisiana.

MontanaMama

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh, that's so sad...it happens here all too often. There just aren't that many opportunities. I can see why you had to go where the work was.

Chicken Woman

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hey Deena,

IM from Billings so a little ways away from you. I moved here 10 years ago from Oregon coast so gardening is almost impossible for me here !:barnie

I can't grow even half ogf the perrinials here that I had there so i have kind of lost interest.
I have some chickens and so am considering a vegtable garden nearby my chickens.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
MontanaMama said:
Hello :frow ~My husband and I are cattle ranchers in north central Montana, 18 miles NE of Winifred.
We are almost done raising our 5 kids (3 boys and 2 girls) with the help of home grown eggs, milk and meat...and of course, garden goodies:)
This country is some of the toughest to garden in, I must say~but worth the hard work.
Anyone else from Big Sky Country??:)
Big Sky Country, reminded me of a road trip my husband and I took a few years back.

My husband is a "native son" of Texas. When he crosses the border into Texas, his drawl comes back, and he becomes quite "braggadocious."

We were in a very flat part of the state of Texas, nothing around for miles, not a cloud in the sky. You could see from horizon to horizon.

My husband turned to me and said ....

"And Montana has the audacity to call themselves "Big Sky Country!"
thfaint.gif

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Why is Montana called Big Sky Country? I mean for western Montana at least the sky is not so big as the gigantic gorgeous mountains are in the way.

Chicken Woman

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Montana is a large state and most of it is not mountains. We have very few days in the year that our sky is cloudy. We have cold temps in winter but lots of sunshine.

HarlansHollowAussies

Leafing Out
Reaction score
MontanaMama said:
Hello :frow ~My husband and I are cattle ranchers in north central Montana, 18 miles NE of Winifred.
We are almost done raising our 5 kids (3 boys and 2 girls) with the help of home grown eggs, milk and meat...and of course, garden goodies:)
This country is some of the toughest to garden in, I must say~but worth the hard work.
Anyone else from Big Sky Country??:)
Hi, :frow , I am in Sidney, only a couple hundred miles to the East!
I added your site to my favs as I just moved here from KY last year and am so eager to explore and get yor advice on so many gardening aspects for this area!

Latest posts