Bird Sightings 2014 - 2015

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We had SUN today in NW Montana! You can see what I was up to...(along with riding my bike about 9 miles on the roads around a wetland checking for birds, whee, fun!)
Immature Bald Eagle
View attachment 6350
Perfect shot @NwMtGardener ! At first glance I thought it was a Golden Eagle. They just mentioned on our news that the Golden Eagles are making a come back in the SE part of MN. Do you have them also? Glad you had a nice ride... I would need chains on my tires.:D

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
No self-respecting robin would dare show his face around here today. LOL

This frigid air is unbelievable! Can't stoke the woodstove hot enough today, so we're all bundled up. When it blows against the house like that, there's no keeping it out. The side of the house away from the prevailing wind is more comfy. Supposed to be -8 by morning. Last year when we hit -7 the power went out because the grid couldn't handle it. :/

I think I am going to have to spend the day baking, just to add some warmth, and an extra layer of fat for hibernating!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been threatening to make cranberry-orange-walnut muffins for weeks now. Today would be a good day to do it!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The males are quite a bit smaller than the females.

A male bald eagle will quite often hang around through the summer on the river nearby. There are lots here now but nesting must be somewhere quite a ways north for the mated pairs.

A robin was in my backyard the other day also, @thistlebloom ! Actually, I've seen one now and then right through this winter - in the walnut trees across the road.

I don't know if those in the south will be showing up early or if they are having a good season down there and will just be on a regular schedule. I've yet to see a robin in a neighbor's Mountain Ash and suspect that those berries aren't a preferred food for robins. Don't know tho' - do they ever show up at bird feeders?

When I lived near the river I was surprised at seeing the first red-wing black bird of the season, showing up at my bird feeder. Later, they paid no attention to it.

Steve

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I bought some nijer seed in a sock like that recently, hoping to attract some goldfinches...not yet, still just getting my boring old house finches and chickadees.

Latest posts