Bird Sightings 2014 - 2015

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
An entire flock of robins was in my front yard all afternoon yesterday. I've seen them down on the valley floor for well over a week, but yesterday was the first I've seen so many in my own yard. The magpies are pretty prevalent, too... I don't have any feeders out, but my neighbors do -- they enjoy lots of birds visiting their yard and feeders.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like magpies, but we have only had a magpie come through once (that I saw).
I've had a thing for them ever since I was little and my dad told me how when he was a kid all the boys wanted to capture one to see if the story
about how to make them talk was true.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bought some nijer seed in a sock like that recently, hoping to attract some goldfinches...not yet, still just getting my boring old house finches and chickadees.
I don't think those are boring birds, Heather!

The chickadees are so skilled at darting in and grabbing what they want and escaping before the other birds can react.

The history of the house finch - allowing people to carry them from New Mexico to New York City. Then, they escaped to follow human settlements all the way back across the US and into Canada! They took advantage of a bad situation and moved right in where they'd never lived before. Opportunistic! I think the little natives had it planned right along ...

Do you have both black-capped and mountain chickens? Not everybody does ;). The chickadees are voracious bug eaters while nesting and good to have in the garden. The house finches don't eat many bugs, I guess. They are some of the few of our passerine birds that feed seeds to their young.

Steve
ya know, if you sprinkle salt on Pied Maggie's tail, while she's not looking -- she can't fly.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes we have both mountain and black capped chickadees, i think the mountain are cuter with their white eyebrow slash (i think in the area called supercilium).

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Don't hate me for visiting my mom in Florida, where it was in the high 80s today and we went kayaking and swimming. :hide Will some fab bird pictures from today make up for it?

Limpkin eating an apple snail
image.jpg

Little Blue Heron
image.jpg

White Ibis
image.jpg

Great Egret
image.jpg

Tricolor Heron
image.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We want you to have fun, Heather.

Thank you for thinking to share your, as usual, outstanding pictures!

I'm gonna take a nice hot bath and imagine what it is like to be in water outdoors, warm enough to be comfortable :).

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think you better watch out for crocs and gators. They might find your lily white Montana winter skin too good to pass up. :D

And thanks for the pictures. very high quality!
I guess it's good for our character to see what we're missing.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bought some nijer seed in a sock like that recently, hoping to attract some goldfinches...not yet, still just getting my boring old house finches and chickadees.
Nothing boring about house finch and chickadees. Such sweet birds.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
An entire flock of robins was in my front yard all afternoon yesterday. I've seen them down on the valley floor for well over a week, but yesterday was the first I've seen so many in my own yard. The magpies are pretty prevalent, too... I don't have any feeders out, but my neighbors do -- they enjoy lots of birds visiting their yard and feeders.
Well the robins are optimist that spring really will come. Eight out front of work today!

Latest posts