Birds

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_3817.JPG

This chickadee checked out the birdhouse that has been rotting up there since before I owned the house. Didn't realize I had potential renters. Time for a spruce up?
IMG_3835.JPG

This jerk knocked the feeder off so he could have it all for himself.
IMG_3898.JPG

New bird. Mourning dove?

Attachments

• IMG_3818.JPG
    IMG_3818.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 411

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think:

I saw a small bird through the South Window this morning. For a moment, I thought that it might be a Ruby-crowned Kinglet, it seemed so small. Those used to be so common where I lived and didn't have so many sparrows. But no, it probably wasn't. They may be what is common in the garden during late summer but so small and busy that those LBJ's are hard to identify.

Steve

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
today was the first day we saw a bird use the birdbaths. we'd not opened them up early due to the grackles... with the coming heat and lack of recent rain i expect we'll see the action pick up, especially when the birds notice the other birds splashing about. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Identified a House Finch, yesterday.

They may have been here awhile. I just can't separate birds by the songs they sing. This guy was on a telephone wire and then flew to the neighbor's weather antenna.

For those of you thinking that the House Finch is common, take a look at the northern limits of their range:

;) Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Screenshot_2020-07-10-17-05-10.png

I saw one of these on the way home from the garden, yesterday. This hawk was so easy to identify.

He was sitting on a power pole and about 200 yards behind him were big steel utility poles. All of them were perfectly rust colored.

Here is where the picture is from and with more information about these birds. LINK

I believe that I often see them through the summer but, as Cornell says, the dark morph is less common. When they are this color - a Ferruginous is just what they have to be ;).

Steve

Latest posts