Birds

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
With no tractor guy for 22 & 23, I am seeing more worms in the big veggie garden. Permanent paths with my tilling just scratching the surface there may be providing more protected areas in the soil outside of the beds.

Few Robins again this year, both here at home and in the distant garden - a little more out there than in 22. They must be less successful raising broods with the extreme heat and dryness of the last few years.

Where are the Goldfinches?

Along the river, there is more bird activity and taking lunch there while sprinklers run can be entertaining :). We saw a pair of Bullocks Orioles at a favorite location last week. It's been a few years since my last sighting -- at the same location.

Steve

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am working a few plots in a garden that our friends have, which is churned up with a rototiller each year. I have yet to see a worm in that soil. Do they shun tilled soil??

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
the Goldfinches show up fairly late in the season here compared to the many others that visit or pass through.
I hope that is where they are -- coming along. It can be kinda crazy out there in a top Goldfinch year.
Do they shun tilled soil??
There are probably a number of factors involved. The presence of lots of organic material is a very important one.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am working a few plots in a garden that our friends have, which is churned up with a rototiller each year. I have yet to see a worm in that soil. Do they shun tilled soil??

if it has been pretty hot and dry they will be further down (if you are speaking of earthworms and the other species which go deeper) until the rains return and plants are grown. often you will then find the worms hanging about the roots of plants like onions and garlic. for the more surface dwelling worm species you want to leave some sort of spots where they can survive in between the times when a garden is cleared after harvesting (if they are leaving them always clear to begin with) and then replanted. another consideration is sometimes helpful is to dig some organic materials down deep enough that worms can hang out there even during the really dry and hot times or the cold and frozen times. a refuge of sorts. in our heavy mostly clay soil i consider all of these factors and try to set up spaces for all worm species that i can. bury some organic materials, and also leave some small piles of bark and organic material someplace in or near a garden.

the major large worm here is a night-crawler which will not do very well if a garden is frequently tilled. they don't dig new burrows easily as they are big worms so disturbing them as little as possible is best.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
One male Goldfinch showed up twice this week. Briefly, but once, very close -- Sat on a stake for about a minute, 20' away. Just checking on things.

I think that the Robins are about to welcome babies out on the neighbors' lawn. They also seem to enjoy adventures through the wet garden.

The California Quail babies are off the nests.

Still looking for the Pine Siskins. One benefit to the multitude of nearby weeds that will soon begin going to seed. The House Finches and Sparrows appreciate the seeds, also.

Steve, mentioned the Ferruginous Hawks, elsewhere

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
all the regulars have been seen or heard from recently including me almost running into a blue heron as it was taking off from a ditch as i was coming home from the garden club meeting.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I may have finally learned a way to ID A Cooper's Hawk from a Sharp-shinned -- at least, part of the time.

The problems are several fold in distinguishing between the two. A. These 2 accipiter hawks have similar colors and patterns. B. Perhaps all hawks have varying colors throughout the years of their life. C. Size varies by sex with males about 1/3rd smaller than females. Cooper males may be the same size as a Sharp-shinned.

Here's the difference -- Cooper's are not here during the Winter. So, if it is large, it is a Cooper. If it is Winter, it is a Sharp-shinned. Small during the Summer :hu.

A Cooper flew into my backyard yesterday, sat on a tree branch and ate something ;).

Steve

Last edited:

Latest posts