Birds

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
So many birds that we, out west, don't have. Thanks!
A varied landscape helps with diversity and the West has thousands of square miles of semi-arid or arid geography sameness, Rhodie Ranch. For all the jokes about Oregon Ducks or that it never stops raining in Seattle, the rain clouds have high mountains to cross and aren't always able to do that.

The only place that I have seen Western Tanagers has been at Granite and Kelso Lakes, little lakes near @thistlebloom 's home. I used to live not far away and those little lakes were useful fishing spots for digitS' and his jonboat when the bigger lakes were wind-swept ;). By the way, they also had Wood Ducks. Those are special!

Here's an example of a western bird - the Townsend Solitaire. Why even the name "Solitaire" gives you some idea of the problem. I couldn't really tell you about location beyond "in the middle of the piney woods." Craning my neck to see them through the trees ...

Orioles I have only seen along a river bank. Since an oriole is supposed to be an "orchard bird," I am not sure where they are in our orchards but just bet that the war against insects has meant that those birds don't find modern orchards very inviting. Rivers are an especially a good choice for viewing a variety of birds that we don't have, even in the wider river valley. I live about 2 miles from a river but that must be too far from many birds. Mountain creeks are also good places. I used to sit out near a creek and just cool down on a hot summer day. Can't see far because of the hillsides, trees and bushes but, after awhile, the birds that like this location would come by. Carry the camera on a strap around your neck and a beer in the camera case ;). Oh! And, a map ...

Steve

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
coolpic.JPG

Birds were few this week due to thunderstorms. This bold starling is the best I got.

Xerocles

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Do you try to help others to identify birds? Normally, I don't care about names. Lots of birds around here, and I just enjoy them for what they are, little sparkles of color to brighten the day. But there is a pair of birds who have sorta become "family". They're not particularly "standout" (much like my real family). They're dully colored. I've never heard them sing. But they raise 3-4 clutches of babies on my back porch every year. There is an air conditioner on the porch for a utility room. Last year the nest was HUGE...must have been there for years. A well meaning friend took it down during the winter. The birds returned this spring, built a new nest, and are well on the way to their 3rd clutch for the year.
I put up a swing on the porch, and really enjoy sitting there, late afternoons, evenings. The birds (as you can imagine) do NOT enjoy my sitting there. They flit from perch to perch about the back yard, waiting impatiently for me to go away so they can get back to their eggs/babies.
I spent a couple hours online trying to identify them, to no avail. They must be a fairly common bird, because they've added enough babies in the past two years to keep them from being uncommon.
If you're willing to give it a go, I will redouble my efforts to take a picture. So far, they're pretty camera shy. They'll sit for long minutes, hoping I'll get out of their way, but as soon as a camera points their way, they're gone.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can you take a photo of the nest? A shot of the eggs showing colors/patterns might help too. Then any description you can give on the adults. Size, colors, anything unusual? Do both parents look the same or are they different colors?

You could probably do search of "common birds of the piedmont" and see what comes up. Should get pictures.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ya know, even size is often difficult to recognize, especially when birds are in flight. Just how little or big are they?

Lady Bird Johnson had an interest in the natural environment, you may remember.

Her wildflower organization in Texas is helpful for identifying plants. Bird identifications might have been difficult for Mrs Johnson. She described some as Little Brown Jobs, LBJ's.

There are lots of LBJ's and characteristics like habitat, behavior, song ... flight pattern, all these may be used by the ornithologist. But, we don't all have the skills developed by ornithologists. Heck, my spell chequer doesn't even know how to spell the word.

Steve

Xerocles

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ya know, even size is often difficult to recognize, especially when birds are in flight. Just how little or big are they?

Lady Bird Johnson had an interest in the natural environment, you may remember.

Her wildflower organization in Texas is helpful for identifying plants. Bird identifications might have been difficult for Mrs Johnson. She described some as Little Brown Jobs, LBJ's.

There are lots of LBJ's and characteristics like habitat, behavior, song ... flight pattern, all these may be used by the ornithologist. But, we don't all have the skills developed by ornithologists. Heck, my spell chequer doesn't even know how to spell the word.

Steve
Ok. I got some, I think, acceptable pics today. Just have to download from camera to computer. Birds, nest, eggs.
Just some teasers. About the size of a sparrow. No brown, just white and shades of grey. White breast and up the neck. White extends in a thin line around the neck, but depending on how they're sitting, you sometimes can't see it all the way around. Head is a darker grey to black. Crest that can be raised and lowered, depending on how p.o.'d they are at me for sitting on "their" porch. Tail not long....but longer vs shorter. Dark bands on wings when perched. Some grey sprinkled on lower breast. Male is a slightly darker shade than the female, but almost indistinguishable.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm excited to see them. I've been looking at birds in SC and have a few ideas just based on colors.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have this one ..

. in the Wild West:

:) Steve

Latest posts