black plastic mulch for melons?

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I haven't tried plastic bags, just some thick black plastic left over from building our house (maybe moisture barrier?) Anyway, it grows nice melons for us :) Good luck!

dollid

Sprout
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I haven't tried plastic bags, just some thick black plastic left over from building our house (maybe moisture barrier?) Anyway, it grows nice melons for us :) Good luck!
Finally, it should be noted that a plastic container can no longer be considered food grade if it has been used to store non-food items like chemicals, paint, or detergent.
This is the main Reason I posted this as As I found that old pots and other used plastic is Risky.

Naughty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
do you all think that black landscape fabric around the plants would be a good idea?

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Naughty said:
do you all think that black landscape fabric around the plants would be a good idea?
I can't say as I've never used it before. I stick with the wood chips for mulch. But I'm sure it will work fine for mulch.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
this might be a very useful website for using different colored mulches for veggie growing! though i know it is very difficult to find colored plastic mulch in my area other than the black and recently the red. try finding a blue tarp at the local hardware store! as long as the soil surface is flat and the mulch flat over that ground too it should help get better fruiting results!

http://growingtaste.com/mulches.shtml

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I actually pulled the black plastic mulch from my garden today as part of an experiment. I've used it the past few years and haven't really gotten great results (other than not having to weed). The first year I gardened here I didn't use black plastic. I was overrun with squash (and weeds).

I'm wondering if it's related or I've just had back luck??

I can think of 2 problems with the black plastic: lack of secondary root systems (they can't tunnel down into the dirt due to the plastic) or limited rain through the black plastic limiting moisture to spread out roots... Although it does warm up the soil nicely and keep weeds down.

Neko-Chan

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My Dad used to till our garden, rake it into various hills and trenches according to what were were going to plant, and then draped the lot with a large sheet of black plastic. We pressed it down carefully. In the trenches, we poked many small holes. In the hill tops, we cut spaces for the plants. When all was said and done, we had a planted garden with it's own irrigation system. It worked brilliantly to keep the weeds down, and everything grew really well.

I think melons like it to be hot, yes/no? I've been thinking about growing a few of my own (trellis'd).