Black Vernissage tomatoe

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
DW doesn't like black tomatoes. I fairly well knew she wouldn't when she was saying how pretty the Black Cherries were in the catalog but she wanted to try them not long ago.

This is the person who didn't like large tomatoes when I first met her. I introduced her to them by starting with a large, mild pink. She is much more adventurous, lately.

@journey11 likes those Black Krims but I know that those are still beyond acceptable for DW.

I'm not sure if there has ever been a tomato that I honestly didn't like. Quite a few have disappointed me but that usually has to do with a lack of flavor or a texture problem.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, the taste test has been done on Black Vernissage Tomato and :sick :sick. Very pretty and a lot of them, but DS and me just gagged. I put them in with other tomatoes for tomato sauce and not sure that will work either. DD has not tried them yet or DH. I did not want to do that to DH lol.
Thanks for the update. I threw mine right away when I read they weren't that great. Why waste our time when there are so many others.

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
My favorite is a black tomato, Japanese Black Trifele. Thank goodness it does very well for me.

Mary

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My BIL has hated tomatoes ever since he was a kid. I sent MIL Golden Egg, Mr. Stripey and Black Cherry plants this spring. The Black Cherry have won him over. He says he will save seed and plant those again. They are one of the best, imo.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
DW doesn't like black tomatoes. I fairly well knew she wouldn't when she was saying how pretty the Black Cherries were in the catalog but she wanted to try them not long ago.

This is the person who didn't like large tomatoes when I first met her. I introduced her to them by starting with a large, mild pink. She is much more adventurous, lately.

@journey11 likes those Black Krims but I know that those are still beyond acceptable for DW.

I'm not sure if there has ever been a tomato that I honestly didn't like. Quite a few have disappointed me but that usually has to do with a lack of flavor or a texture problem.

Steve
Your wife reminds me of me. ;) I don't like big tomatoes and I don't like cherry ones either, except for sungold. I prefer tomatoes that are big enough or small enough that I can eat it all without having to store half of it for later.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just remembered that I was going to give my opinion of this tomato (Black Vernissage).

I agree with @Gardening with Rabbits , it was pretty bad, and I have a pretty broad tolerance for tomato flavors, (or underdeveloped tastebuds).
I thought it had a really disagreeable mushy texture.

Did you try it in sauce 'Rabbits?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just remembered that I was going to give my opinion of this tomato (Black Vernissage).

I agree with @Gardening with Rabbits , it was pretty bad, and I have a pretty broad tolerance for tomato flavors, (or underdeveloped tastebuds).
I thought it had a really disagreeable mushy texture.

Did you try it in sauce 'Rabbits?

I did make one batch of sauce before all the happenings with DH. It really was not great, but cannot blame it on the tomatoes. I think I was in a hurry and just did not do a good job. Mushy and disagreeable would be exactly how DS and I described it.