Blackberries?

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
image.jpg

image.jpg

So I found these growing in the flower bed. I've never grown blackberries so I'm not sure what the leaves on one would look like.

I did find a very weathered and worn out tag that was for a blackberry bush but the tag was so tattered that I couldn't see the picture at all. It's a VERY weird place to put one too which is why I don't want to assume.

I'm trying to figure out if they are worth transplanting or if I need to just eradicate them.

Thanks for looking

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
That looks like a blackberry plant to me. Another check. . . are the stems squared rather than round? I hope you keep finding new and exciting plants as you wander over your new property.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
As for keeping or cutting out -- why not give them a trial growth period and decide for yourself if they are worthy of dessert? Our gully was filled with blackberries before DH 'cleaned' the place up a bit. I am hoping that the divisions I dug will be easier to reach for picking now that I don't have to hover over fallen everything.

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It doesn't look like the blackberries we get around here. Our blackberries have thorns and the leaves look different. I guess different types could look different too.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are also dewberries, boysenberries, loganberries, and who knows what else in that group or family. I'm sure there are many variations.

It's also very possible that could be something else entirely. I could easily see that making some type of vining plant. I don't think we should jump to a blackberry conclusion real quick.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am am for wait and see, give it a chance and let it grow. No point in eradicating something that might hold promise of luscious berries for you. If it turns out to be a wild, grows in the ditch blackberry, then you can take it out. But with out knowing, I say see what it produces.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
does it have 5 leaves or 3 at each node? it's hard for me to tell with those 2 pics and i just want to be sure it isn't poison ivy. i saw the shinny red on the leaves and that was something that made me first think poison ivy and not raspberry/blackberry.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'd have to double check those are all good questions. The pics I took were what I saw.

I cleaning up the bed when I found them so I'll check and see what I find and report back.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
For those of you keeping score at home.....well my wife decided she didn't care what was in the bed she was tired of looking at a weedy mess. So EVERYTHING came out & 3 flats of annuals, some Stella de Oro day lilies, and some morning glories took their place.

She chose them because they transplant very well & are more pleasing to look at till we blow up the front beds & walkway and totally revamp it.

Thank you for your help anyway I had no idea that was the plan. Had I known I would have transplanted them and waited to see what they were. Oh well but the front does look a lot better!!

Latest posts